Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H97-Gaming 3 - Bios sometimes cant find SSD Crucial M550

GA-H97-Gaming 3 - Bios sometimes cant find SSD Crucial M550
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:07:25 pm »
SOMETIMES when I start PC, bios can not find SSD Crucial M550 256GB in slot M.2. When I unplug the power cord from the source and then reinsert it. Now I start a PC and SSD in slot M.2 now found BIOS. After 4-5 days Bios dont find SSD again :( I have latest version bios F5 and latest drivers in Win8.1 Pro 64bit Please advise me why sometimes BIOS can not find SSD in slot M.2 ? Thank you. I think there is an error in the motherboard. Do I have to claim the motherboard or wait for a new version of the BIOS ?

CCraMM

Re: GA-H97-Gaming 3 - Bios sometimes cant find SSD Crucial M550
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:42 pm »
I had this exact same problem with M.2 drive using regular BIOS and MBR on the drive.
Installed windows no problem but it would then stop seeing the drive.

Did some reading and found out that you need to be booting AHCI to make these drives work properly.

This was a pain - i had to enter the recovery options for windows and delete the MBR so that the drive was FULLY blank.

Then created an AHCI windows usb installer and everything has been perfect since.

If the MBR is still there you won't be able to install from your AHCI windows installer (it will list drive as unable to install).
This needs to be cleaned out (again, used DISKPART) as AHCI uses GPT partitions.

Kinda on the bleeding edge with these M.2 drives - but boy is it fast.

hope that helps.
c

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:54:39 am »
When I started to install Windows 8.1 so I created USB pre-driver AHCI.
I also set AHCI in the BIOS.
And then just install Windows, with AHCI pre-driverem on USB.

Did I do something wrong  ?

I have 3 hard drives in PC 1x SSD system C: Crucial M550 slot M.2 and 2x normal HDD SATAIII
( Maybe I should just install windows only with SSD without HDDs ??? )

When I installed windows this way, you are definitely sure that I have to delete the MBR on the SSD?
and then created an AHCI windows usb installer?

thank you for answer

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:17:18 am »
I think I figured out where the problem is

in this thread: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/M550-256GB-M-2-dissapearing-after-resuming-from-sleep/m-p/155250/highlight/false#M43897

I try enable Hot plug SSD in BIOS and sleeping mode in Windows off.

CCraMM

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 08:40:06 pm »
i had originally installed windows on the M.2 in legacy mode (MBR).

when i realized that was my problem i couldn't re-install windows using AHCI (GPT) method as i had an MBR on the M.2 already.
that had to be deleted first before windows would re-install. (using DISKPART)

I don't allow my system to sleep and I don't have HotPlug enabled on any of my SSDs but let us know if that worked for you.

(In fact my M.2 only shows up in BIOS as Windows Boot Loader)

c

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 08:51:53 pm by CCraMM »