H81-D3 - Boot-from-media problems
« on: September 19, 2014, 03:54:06 am »
  • Gigabyte H81-D3
  • Pentium G3420 Dual Core
  • Pentium G3420 Dual Core
  • Using onboard intel graphics and audio
  • 4GB Gskill RAM
  • Kingston 120GB SSD /mbr

I built this machine specifically as a hard drive station of sorts...check hard drives for viruses and health issues without having to use my production machine. Needless to say, booting from media is an important aspect. And that's where my trouble is. Inconsistent results in booting from media (usb stick, cd rom, zalman).

In example, if I try to boot from Hirens, it works fine from a USB stick (as long as I'm not in a USB3 port), but oddly enough, booting from CD to Hirens mini xp loads up xp with no Hirens utils menu and no mouse or keyboard support (wireless USB...works fine with other media boots). And there are other examples that I'll post if necessary.

But I'm wondering if this is a bios setting issue? It's a non-UEFI install (32 bit windows). The latest (F6) bios.

I have the UEFI portions of the bios disabled with legacy selections where available.

That said, before I get too far into it, I have to wonder if this isn't an issue:

The Secure Boot option is disabled, yet the Secure Boot Mode option is available and set to 'Standard'. It is changeable even though Secure Boot is disabled. I can change it to Custom, which then makes the options Image Execution Policy and Key Management available. Of course, I don't want those options. But the question is, should the Secure Boot Mode option be available even when Secure Boot is disabled? Could this be my problem?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:00:21 am by Bob. »