Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-H61M-DS2-DVI Cannot clone disk

GA-H61M-DS2-DVI Cannot clone disk
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
Hi all,

I have a GA- H61M-DS2-DVI Mobo Bios version F2 UEFI Dual Bios

Im trying to use my disk cloning software for backup - been using it for years.

I set the bios to boot from cd - then the cloning software loads up and reports "no disk drives found" ?

I have never had this problem before, what settings do I need to use in bios to rectify this ?

Ive tried F12 Boot options but it just goes to windows even when I set cd boot.

It has to be done in bios but the hard drives need to be recognised.

Any help would be great, I have only just got my system working after windows 8 destroyed it and I reformatted and installed 7 pro, then restored my files the hard way !

Thanks in advance,

mick
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 04:23:50 pm by mickeyb »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: GA-H61M-DS2-DVI Cannot clone disk
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:06:59 pm »
Make sure you are booting up in Legacy mode and make sure are running IDE and not AHCI. Once you get things clone than you can change thing s back. Because you software might not support UEFI.

Plus check this to make sure the MB is seeing your drives. (Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities)

BIOS Features

Boot Mode Selection
Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot. UEFI and Legacy Allows booting from operating systems that support legacy option ROM or UEFI option ROM. (Default)

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 05:02:14 am »
Thanks for your help,

Just tried it and still no good.

Im using an old version of acronis true image, just looked at the new version and it doesn't mention UEFI

Im a bit stuck now.............

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »
What drives it isn't seeing, if it is a new drive you might have to set it up first in windows than try it. Or in the Acronis try and setup a new drive first.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 06:11:59 am »
Hi,

Its the windows system drive, it should be recognised by the software if its recognised by bios.

Thanks

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31:18 am »
Hi all,

Now tried 3 different cloning programs and still saying 'no disk drives found'.
Can anyone else help me with this please ?

Mick

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »
Hi there,

Have you tried the F3c beta BIOS for your motherboard? http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4403#bios

I think I would try this as the problem may be BIOS related and it may help resolve it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 02:37:57 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for that, yes I believe its bios related.
Is there any risk with that new bios ?

cheers,

Michael

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 04:58:10 pm »
Hi Michael,

It would be wrong of me to say that there is no risk when running a beta version but, I have been using Gigabyte Mobo's for over 10 years and I have yet to have any major problems from running a beta BIOS and I have run plenty of them in my time! (I'm actually running a beta on my current PC without issue.)

The main problem, of course, is flashing the BIOS and I would strongly recommend using the QFlash utility in BIOS rather than the Windows @BIOS utility. It is also good practice to load Optimized Defaults (F10), save, exit, reboot into BIOS before running any updates. If you are not sure of how to use QFlash check out the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html and of course, feel free to ask any questions if you are not sure of something.

The one good thing about BIOS flashing is that you can go back to the F2 version, using QFlash again, if the F3c doesn't help and you are happier running the F2.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 08:29:23 am »
Hi,

I successfully flashed the bios but my cloning programs still wont recognise the operating system disk, I just don't get it ?
Anymore help would be great, it appears that bios is reading the cd rom, and booting from it,  before looking for hard drives

michael

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 08:32:33 am »
What cloning software are you using?

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 04:59:42 pm »
Hi,

Im using a paid for version of Acronis true image
And a free version of ease us.

I just don't get it...........

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:40 am »

Can anyone else help me with this, I desperately need to do a clone backup of this machine.

Thanks

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 06:39:39 am »
Sorry I didn't reply earlier but had a few issues at home.

Not sure why Acronis is not working unless it is something to do with the hidden restore partition on the HDD that Windows 8.1 creates. Before you reinstalled Windows 7 did you do a complete erase of the HDD?

I have found that AOMEI Backupper works OK with Windows and it might be worthwhile trying this cloning software. The basic version is free and you can download it from here: http://www.backup-utility.com/

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 07:31:47 pm »
Hi,

I did a fresh install of win 7 pro on a new disk.
Have just downloaded that program, looks like it can run direct from windows, this should solve the problem of hard drives not been recognised at bios post.

Will try it in the morning.

Thanks