Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97X Gaming G1 D2 Error - Won't boot OS on HDD

GA-Z97X Gaming G1 D2 Error - Won't boot OS on HDD
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:54:32 pm »
Hi all,

I'm getting a boot loop of D2 errors (PCH Initialization) I believe right after it tries to boot onto a hard drive.

The system has been tested in a variety of configurations, so please let me know what I should test further or redo.

I have tried putting in different amounts/DIMMS of ram to no avail.
 I have tried changing where the SATA cable is connected to the Mobo.
 I have unpluged all fans except CPU fans for testing, to isolate cause.
 I have flashed to the latest BIOS (F6) for my board.

What actually happens:
 When I start the computer, I watch the codes, and it cycles through a normal boot up to the point where AE appears followed by one more code, and then D2 appears shortly and it loops back through the boot sequence.
 I believe the last code that appears is booting legacy OS, so it gets that far and hits the PCH initialization error or whatever D2 is.

That's with a preinstalled copy of windows on my old HDD, if I connect my SSD and boot into the windows DVD, I am simply unable to start installing windows, and it starts the install and says something along the lines of "cannot copy files to disk".

What I think may be wrong:
 Motherboard is broken? I've seen issues with this that never seem to be resolved.
 CPU Cooler mount touches case and causes electrical problems? (Case it metal, grounded, bracket is metal, etc)
 Some device or CMOS setting is restricting the boot?

HaF-x case
 Noctua DH-N14
 850w modular psu
 4x4gb gskill ripjaw
 WD 750gb (my old operating system hdd I'm trying to boot)
 Samsung Pro 256gb SSD
 Intel i7 4790k
 Integrated graphics (temporary - until it posts)

I plan to test something this evening, which is trying to install the OS again onto the SSD and possible a partition of the old HDD, as I had updated the BIOS since then. It is possible that the OS has drivers that cause a fault on bootup, so I will attempt this. Let me know if you think that makes any sense.

This is not my first build, but it is my first time with an LGA 15XX slot, so I'm worried I did something wrong.
 Please help me out, I've never had this much trouble with a build before, so I'm not feeling to great right now.

autotech

Re: GA-Z97X Gaming G1 D2 Error - Won't boot OS on HDD
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:49:20 pm »
I have that board and at default I had no problems with a blank SSD drive. I had a 500 gig sata I was going to use with a window install from old computer but it wouldn't let me do it. I had to hook up the 500 gig to a different computer and format it first then it let me.

I kept the SSD with widows on it and now just use the sata for backup.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA