Official GIGABYTE Forum

Z68XP-UD3R RAID not recognising disk

Z68XP-UD3R RAID not recognising disk
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:02:35 am »
I had RAID 0 setup and running no issues, same model disk, same size etc. Turned on one day and the disk is detected and recognized and listed as status normal yet the system wont see the disk as part of the RAID.

Images attached.

What can I do to flag the disk as belonging to the RAID?

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Z68XP-UD3R RAID not recognising disk
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 04:22:57 pm »
Have you tried to rebuild it? It looks like one of the hard drive has a problem. Does it still boot to windows? Did you try different sata cables?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:38 am »
Have you tried to rebuild it? It looks like one of the hard drive has a problem. Does it still boot to windows? Did you try different sata cables?

No I would like to not have to reinstall everything so I would like to not rebuild at this point. This is not the boot drive and as per the picture yes it boots to windows fine. Yes tried different sata. The disk is fine... its just not recognized by the controller as being the same disk in the array despite the serial number being the same (and everything else obviously)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 02:41:20 pm »
Well we have to bring in the big gun on Array's to help you. PM shadowsports. 
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 04:56:23 am »
Hey Guys,
Been lurking  ;D watching this thread.

dmdilks suggestion about trying a new SATA cable is where I also would start.  Miester, while the array is working now, I would back up my data.  Since it is RAID 0 with only two member disks any attempts to resolve this condition can result in failure.  The missing disk error is more serious in this case since no spare or parity drive is present to take the place of the "problem disk".  There is no "rebuild option" per se with this RAID level.  The array can only be salvaged if a hot spare exists and if one of the member disks reports itself at risk.  This are the steps I would take:

**Create a data back up <<
-Replace cable
-Open IRST windows and press the rescan option (Blue circular arrow) right side
-Verify Main BIOS settings  - They are likely fine
-Verify configuration in the RAID Configuration Utility (Option ROM)

Its not usually possible to re-mark a disk as a RAID member once it has failed or is marked as missing in the Option ROM or IRST windows utility. 

Safe option: add a spare drive to the option ROM, option 4 Recovery Volume Option.  If a member disk has SMART errors and reports itself as at risk, the array might accept and transfer itself to the new drive.  This may or may not work and is time consuming.

If you want to fly by the seat of your pants, and have a back up, you can delete then recreate the RAID set from scratch.  Boot to windows, then use TestDisk (CGI Security) and try to recover your partition(s)

**You can attempt to re-mark the missing disk as a member, but there is no way of knowing the outcome.  This is done in option 1 of the option ROM, but this often wipes the array.

Other things to check

How does Device Manager look?
>Expand disk drives
>Expand Storage Controllers
Any Exclamations or Triangles present?

Review the System Event Viewer for anything obvious.  It might be helpful to expand Windows Logs: Review Application and System heading for controller or disk related events.

Next, you can try running a chkdsk /f on the volume.  You shouldn't have to restart since this is not a boot volume.  However, any changes may cause inconsistencies between the interleaved data and immediate failure.  This might only be marginally effective.  To ensure data integrity, the array should be broken and the drives tested independently.

The missing disk error typically ocurrs due to physical failure, but if the drive has developed enough bad blocks or problem with its partition structure, it can also cause it to be listed as missing or failed.

Often breaking the array, testing the problem disk (confirm health or replace) and restoring from back up is the quickest method to resolve.

Regardless of what you decide, getting your data backed up should be your first priority.  Good luck. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW