Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 - fresh Windows 8.1 install query

GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 - fresh Windows 8.1 install query
« on: November 26, 2014, 02:37:26 am »
Hi

Im going to do fresh Win8.1 install and have, possibly stupid, question regarding the order of it all. Do you apply all windows updates first? Before installing chipset drivers etc? If yes - which ones do I need? All of them? In any particular order? (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4968#dl)

Thank you :)

autotech

Re: GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 - fresh Windows 8.1 install query
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:48 am »
First you install chipset drivers a lot of times along with chipset drivers will be a hotfix for netframework 4.  Then after you install network drivers and chipset then you install windows.

Sometimes it is best to only use 1 dvd drive, CPU, 1 stick memory and hard drive and 1 monitor to install windows and do drivers then windows updates then install the rest of your parts.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »
Sometimes it is best to only use 1 dvd drive, CPU, 1 stick memory and hard drive and 1 monitor to install windows and do drivers then windows updates then install the rest of your parts.

I have to agree on this because when windows 7 installed. If you had another HHD connected it would sometimes put a boot sector on that drive. Now if you tried to remove that drive.

When you boot the computer it would say 80% of the time boot manager missing. I don't know if windows 8 does the same thing. Because that is how I do it like Autotech said other than the memory.

X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 01:42:36 pm »
First you install chipset drivers a lot of times along with chipset drivers will be a hotfix for netframework 4.  Then after you install network drivers and chipset then you install windows.

Can I install chipset drivers before installing windows? (Apologies for all those questions - after 8 years on macs, windows is quite foreign to me)

I was thinking about the following: I have one SSD installed. Windows 8.1 on USB stick. Drivers on another usb stick

1. Install Windows
2. install chipset drivers: Intel INF and Intel Management Engine Interface
3. install intel AHCI drivers: Intel SATA Preinstall, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
4. install Realtek HD Audio Driver
5. install newest VGA Driver

6. finally BigFoot LAN driver which will allow me to connect to the internet

7. install Windows 8.1 updates.

Does it look ok?

Thank you:)

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »
I would just install windows then your drivers. Plus don't forget the USB 3.0 driver.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »
I would just install windows then your drivers. Plus don't forget the USB 3.0 driver.

Indeed. So my list looks like this:

1. Install Windows
2. Chipset drivers: Intel INF and Intel Management Engine Interface
3. Intel AHCI drivers: Intel SATA Preinstall, Intel Rapid Storage Technology
4. Realtek HD Audio Driver
5. VGA Driver
6. Intel Smart Connect Technology
7. Intel Rapid Start Technology
8. BigFoot LAN driver which will allow me to connect to the internet
9. Windows 8.1 updates.

Did I miss anything?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 05:21:52 pm »
Hi there,

looking at your list I would recommend the following:
1. Install Windows - Yes
2. Chipset drivers: Intel INF and Intel Management Engine Interface - Yes
3. Intel AHCI drivers: Intel SATA Preinstall, Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Not needed as Microsoft AHCI Drivers work perfectly OK
4. Realtek HD Audio Driver - Not really needed unless you want to use all of the bloatware that comes with Realtek
5. VGA Driver - Only required if you are using the CPU's on-board Graphics capabilities
6. Intel Smart Connect Technology - Not needed
7. Intel Rapid Start Technology - Not needed
8. BigFoot LAN driver which will allow me to connect to the internet - Yes
9. Windows 8.1 updates. - Yes Note: Windows update will also often offer driver updates as optional ones, so check these to see if any are applicable.

After you first install WIndows 8.1 the only drivers you are likely to be missing are the Chipset Drivers, VGA driver and Big Foot. You can check this under Device Manager via Control Panel/Hardware and Sound
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 05:45:25 pm »
Hi there,

looking at your list I would recommend the following:
1. Install Windows - Yes
2. Chipset drivers: Intel INF and Intel Management Engine Interface - Yes
3. Intel AHCI drivers: Intel SATA Preinstall, Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Not needed as Microsoft AHCI Drivers work perfectly OK
4. Realtek HD Audio Driver - Not really needed unless you want to use all of the bloatware that comes with Realtek
5. VGA Driver - Only required if you are using the CPU's on-board Graphics capabilities
6. Intel Smart Connect Technology - Not needed
7. Intel Rapid Start Technology - Not needed
8. BigFoot LAN driver which will allow me to connect to the internet - Yes
9. Windows 8.1 updates. - Yes Note: Windows update will also often offer driver updates as optional ones, so check these to see if any are applicable.

After you first install WIndows 8.1 the only drivers you are likely to be missing are the Chipset Drivers, VGA driver and Big Foot. You can check this under Device Manager via Control Panel/Hardware and Sound

Brilliant:) Thank you!