Official GIGABYTE Forum

Linux driver to support reading fan speeds for H978-D3H

Haines

Linux driver to support reading fan speeds for H978-D3H
« on: December 07, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »
A previous Gigabyte motherboard reported fan speeds via an it87 module, but my new H97-D3H board does not do it. It seems the board has no Super I/O chip. The board's BIOS sees fan speeds, but not Linux Debian's hw-sensors application.  What module do I need to load?

Haines

Re: Linux driver to support reading fan speeds for H978-D3H
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 05:25:57 pm »
A previous Gigabyte motherboard reported fan speeds via an it87 module, but my new H97-D3H board does not do it. It seems the board has no Super I/O chip. The board's BIOS sees fan speeds, but not Linux Debian's hw-sensors application.  What module do I need to load?

Haines

Try downloading the sensors-detect script from the http://www.lm-sensors.org/wiki/Devices web site.

If when running it it mentions "hardware found but not written yet" or some such (I can't remember the exact text) then try as root or any superuser...

modprobe it87 force_id=0x8728 

This seems to work, at least it does on my z97 MB. Keep an eye out for fans stopping (shouldn't but best to be safe)...

oddly enough I noticed that my temp3 setting (processor, intel PECI) not only shows the temp, but also if I change in the bios the temp at which the bios warns of heating the change is reflected in the output of sensors which is quite cool.