Official GIGABYTE Forum

Motherboard Killed my Video Card RMA

Mushu

Motherboard Killed my Video Card RMA
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:01:25 am »
Hi

I have sent a message through the gigabyte site regarding this but I thought if I put a thread up here I have a better chance of a quick response

My setup for the last 6 months has been:
Gigabyte  G31M-ES2L mobo
Intel E8400 CPU
4 GB RAM
80 GB IDE HDD
1 TB SATA HDD
Mercury 350w PSU (in case with single fan)
Viewsonic VX2240 22" screen
Various Operating Systems (mostly XP but most recently Windows 7 64 bit)

Recently I came into some money so I purchased:
GigaByte EP45-UD3LR mobo
GigaByte 9800GT 512mb Video Card
4 GB RAM
2 x 1TB SATA HDD
Raidmax 500w PSU (and new case with 3 fans)

When I purchased all this stuff I had to wait 5 days for the mobo, so I collected the other items and fitted them to my computer while I waited for the mobo, during this time I had no trouble and everything worked just as it should, untill the mobo arrived.

When I recieved the new mobo (EP45) I transferred all of the parts to it (while doing this I was working on a wooden bench and wearing anti static strap) had no troubles with changing it over untill I plugged it in, when I pressed the power button I got nothing at all (as if it wasn't even plugged in) so I went back into the case to unplug and reconnect everything (I didn't find any problems) I plugged it back in and tried again and once again nothing, at this point in my frustration I pushed the power button about 10 times quickly and it spun into life and gave the appropriate POST screen, I configured a few settings in the BIOS and let it start with the windows CD in it and within a couple of minutes it turned itself off for no reason and went back to not working as before.

After swapping components around for a while I noticed both boards would POST when video card is not installed and I am currently using my old G31M mobo as it has onboard graphics but only supports 2 RAM chips :(.
I had considered that the PSU wasn't up to the job but after several checks with power supply calculators they seem to average out that about 400w is required for the whole setup.

Given what has happend I'm thinking it could be a problem with the mobo which damaged the video card somehow.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:58:57 am by runn3R »

Mushu

Re: Motherboard Killed my Video Card RMA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:52:53 am »
I have just received a reply from Gigabyte global technical service saying that I should try the setup with a higher rated power supply, if I could I gladly would and am asking around the supplier and some friends to see if I can make this possible but it occurs to me that given the power supply I am currently using is rated 100w above the 400w minimum (rated by both gigabyte and nvidia) shouldn't it atleast post or do something, it reacts as though it has no power at all, I get no effect from pushing the power button and after the video card has been tried in the board I have to clear CMOS to make the board work again.