Official GIGABYTE Forum

Boot SSD randomly gets no longer recognised GA-H81N!!

spoof

Boot SSD randomly gets no longer recognised GA-H81N!!
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:12:48 pm »
Hi folks,
Not sure if anyone else experiencing this problem with their SSD boot drives but its been happening for a while now and getting more frequent whereby on startup the boot ssd (Kingston v200 128gb Jmicron controller) loses connection and is no longer recognised by the bios. You have to exit the bios to get which in turn reboots the machine and it is hit or miss whether it gets detected again and windows boots. I could of been working fine on the computer in the morning and the second power on in the afternoon BAM! - no drive detected :-(
SSD has latest firmware and has health status good in crystaldiskinfo 6.2.1 so not sure if it is the source of the problem. I tested the drive in both sata 3 slots and the sata 2 and experiences same problem in both. Didnt think it would be the cable as it boots with the same cable when lucky but swapped out with another to test with the same results.Tried the hot plug detect option in the Bios with no success so not sure what else to do. grateful if anyone has any advice or options to help narrow down. My PC specs is below for reference. I migrated the SSD with a fresh windows install from my old core2duo machine and I cant remember it ever losing connection whatsoever on that unit.
If there are any break throughs I will update the thread speak to you soon
Mobo = itx GA-H81N
CPU = intel g3258
Ram= 2x2gb ddr3 1333 Gskill
Kingston V200 ssd 128gb
Intel 6235 pci card
Windows 7 32bit Pro
PSU= Seasonics SS-250SU

spoof

Re: Boot SSD randomly gets no longer recognised GA-H81N!!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:35 pm »
Purchased new Sandisk X300 SSD (sata 6gbps) and have been using now for two weeks with no drive disappearing issues whatsoever which is good. I am fairly certain that there was nothing wrong with the original v200 drive but kingstom RMA swapped it out regardless to a v300 which is now in my other machine.
I did a little research and come across some info somewhere that older SSD drives with older gen controllers (JMicron in the V200) may have compatibilty issues with the new intel 8/9 series chipsets - something regarding the drives not meeting the sata III spec as strict - this could be rubbish but I don't know.
Hope this helps someone with similar issues.

I am having some issues with my case fan which I am trying to sort will try find some further info first but basically the PWM case fan plugged into the case fan header struggles to start on my mobo. It is most defintely the mobo as have tried both my scythe kama pwm fan and noctua redux pwm, both are new fans and swapping each out exhibits same problem. It is as if the mobo is not supplying enough current to start the fan. It will minor turn and stop, turn and stop etc for several minutes until it finally gets going. If anyone can point me in right direction to fix it will be a great help. I dont have gigabyte app center installed if that is required. Hopefully someone has the answer :-)