Official GIGABYTE Forum

What memory can I use on my board

Shinnen

What memory can I use on my board
« on: March 16, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
Hi,
   I have a GA-8IR533. Will any ddr that fits into it work? I'm told that most ddr is  backword compatable.
Thanks,
..... john

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: What memory can I use on my board
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:11:07 am »
Hi there,

According to the Manual for your Mobo it can only use PC2100 DDR or PC1600 DDR and it can only take a maximum of 2 Gig. If you have misplaced your mobo manual you can download a PDF version here: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Manual_Model.aspx?ProductID=1330&ver=#anchor_os  Check pages 11 & 12 for memory configuration.

Unfortunately, DDR is NOT backwards compatable and you are limited to the specific memory design and speed rating for your board. DDR memory modules have only 184 pins whereas DDR2 & DDR3 both have 240 pins.

Hope this helps.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Shinnen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:40:40 pm »
Hi Karma,
         I've been getting random freeze ups (mostly during, or shortly after start up), and I do have a stick of pc2700 in it. (I wonder if that's my problem.) But ........ I was told once that ddr is backward compatible, i.e. pc2700 should work. So.... this is not the fact??
Thanks,
..... john

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:08 pm »
Hi,
Your Mobo can only use PC2100 DDR or PC1600 DDR and it can only take a maximum of 2 Gig,
2700 is not compatable with your mobo,
DDR is NOT backwards compatable, Thats why you are getting freezing lock ups,
Cheers

Shinnen

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:50:25 pm »
Thanks absic/pottypete,
      I have changed the pc 3200 (not pc2700, as I thought) as you suggested,  to pc 2100, and my freeze-ups have virtually disappeared, except for the occasional one after xp has loaded, which I suspect is software related.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
This is a nice board!
...... john

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »
Hi there,

pleased to see that things are nearly right for you now.

If you are still getting the freeze-ups you might want to check out which version of BIOS you have and if it is not F5 you might want to update it. You can get F5 bios here: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1330&ver=#anchor_os

If you have a floppy drive it would be better to flash bios using the Qflash utility rather than the @bios from within Windows. (QFlash is a much more reliable method of flashing bios.)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.