« on: March 10, 2015, 03:24:52 am »
Hey there, so I've ran into a problem building my PC. My build is as follows:

AMD X4 860k CPU
G.Skill RipjawsX 1x4gb
PowerColor Radeon R9 290
Corsair CX500 PSU
Gigabyte F2A88X-UP4
If the case matters: DIYPC Ranger-R4-R

Now i've been through other motherboards (namely ASRock) and the speaker would always give me beeps that corresponded with Memory Errors. I've used the same RAM stick with my old build, running only with that one stick and the computer would run fine, no errors or anything. I've tried booting it in every single DIMM socket and nothing changes. I've noticed that this board has a LED Debug display, and it displays 4 error codes. I've searched them all individually and referenced the Debug Code List that is on these forums and it has provided no help. The codes I am getting are : 5d, 8, 55, and 91. I know 55 indicates a "Memory Initialization Error" and 91 "Issue Event to Connect Drivers", I don't even have a clue what that means. All in all, I'm pretty frustrated having more and more problems that I can't seem to solve. I'm hoping someone here could provide some knowledge or suggestions to ease my struggle. Thanks!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: In desperate need of help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:46:45 pm »
This could be the problem Radeon R9-290 - 31A and a 550W psu minimum You PSU is 550w with 38a.

The other thing is you need F6 bios to support that CPU. AMD   -Athlon X4 860K   3700MHz   Kaveri 28nm A1   95W   F6
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:47:18 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Csouth

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:05:59 pm »
Im not that tech literate, if you could somehow dumb that down so I could understand I would greatly appreciate it.
But if I do understand that correctly (which I probably don't), I need to upgrade my bios? Which would be a problem seeing as my computer won't even get a video signal, let alone boot to bios. I'm unsure on the process to update my Bios; if thats what I need to do. And the part about the power supply isn't registering.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:13:41 pm by Csouth »

gaster

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:00:56 pm »
I think dmdilks is right about this being a bios issue.  I wouldn't worry about the power supply for now.  Let me try to further explain.

Every motherboard has a bios, which is a small chip on the board with software inside to explain how to get the board to boot up and run.  The bios has info on cpus and memory, etc.  If the bios doesn't have info on how to run a certain cpu, well, then the board may not boot up at all.  This seems to be happening to you. 

The 860K is a newer cpu and you need at least the F5 bios.  There is also an F6 now.  See here:  http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4709#bios
When updating a bios it's best to just update to the latest one, which as I said is the F6.

You can't update the bios with that 860K cpu in place.  You would need to swap that out and put in a supported cpu.  See the Gigabyte page and the motherboard manual for how to flash an updated bios.

So now the issue is where to you get a supported cpu or apu which you only need for 5 to 10 minutes, and what do you do with it after you update the bios?  You could buy a cheap cpu or apu and sell it when done, or you could give up on this board and see if you can return it and get something else, but you might run into the same issue with another board. 
Is it possible to go back to where you bought it and have them help you?  If you got the board from a store with real tech support they may be able to help.