Official GIGABYTE Forum

Updated BIOS and intel raid is now constantly parking/idling drives (GA-X58A).

Hi All,

I know this is a bit of an old mobo (Gigabyte X58A ud3r rev2), but probably someone might had the same issue with the intel raid firmware. I recently updated the BIOS from an ancient version (FA if my memory serves me right) to the latest (FF - which includes a new intel raid firmware).

After doing this update, the disks on the Raid (2 mechanical drives) are being put constantly to sleep or idle and when the drives are woken again, my computer freezes for a second (which is annoying). I don't know how to revert this... I have so far tried (with no success)

* Configured the intel raid (using the Intel Rapid Storage application) to not use "Link power management".
* Configured Windows 8 to now put disks to sleep from the Control Panel -> Power Options.

The only thing that "worked" is writing a small program that writes 1 character to the Raid every 5 seconds (not ideal solution)

Does anyone know how to configure windows / the raid to not park the drives?

Thanks a lot!
a/

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Go into control panel click on power options. In the power options see if the hard driver set to turnoff.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Hi dmdilks,

I already had set that to "never". Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Everything I have research points to that setting. The only thing I would say after I see you are running windows 8. Is that it might be a Windows 8 thing. I don't know what else to tell you sorry.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.