Official GIGABYTE Forum

brand new GIGABYTE Z97 G1 SNIPER is reboot looping !!!! GRRR

So I just purchased this computer.. I have had it for like 4 days, but 2 days i spent trying to figure out how to boot the system on my old HDD so i could install windows but i dont have a CD for windows i purchased it as a downloadable copy and i never burned it to a disk. So i had to buy a new DVD rom since i guess IDE is totally gone now lol.. And yada yada..

So i finally got it all installed and running, windows loaded on my SSD i was doing windows updates and installing drivers and so forth... I reboot the computer and boom endless BOOTLOOPS.. It doesnt even get the windows screen.. The screen stays black and reboots every 2 seconds and beeps.. I could however press DEL and get into the bios.. I tried switching to the backup bios.. no go.. reset the cmos, unplugged the power and removed the battery for a few hours.. no go.. Unplugged all my peripherals no go, removed a stick of ram tried diff ram slots.. Still nothing..

Spent like 10 hours trying to fix this.. I did google searches and found nothing... except a million other people between different genetations of the X intel chipsets with the same issue.. I finally started changing settings in the bios and when i changed the PCI-E from GEN 3 to GEN 2 now it works fine.. Boots up and im typing this out as we speak..

What the HECK ? I did a google search on this and others found the same fix as well on the Z chipsets mostly on MSI and Gigabyte though and it goes back to old boards too.. Changing the speed of the PCI-E one notch down fixes the bootloops.. What is the speed difference FPS wise in games between having my system on GEN2 vs GEN3 ?? And considering i am finding this issue to be widespread on all kinds of manufacterers with the Z series its almost leading me to believe this is an INTEL problem.. and if thats the case ill jump ship to AMD get myself a 9950FX and a new motherboard and never go back to intel... I know that sounds drastic but this is BS..

Im sure you guys have heared of the bootloop issues but have you ever seen my fix for it before and if so does anyone know of a way to get this system to be stable again on GEN3 so i dont have a performance loss in games...   If its literally a 1 or 2 fps drop then ill live with it, but if im going to lose like 10-20fps then this is BS...  I like this motherboard as far as everything else.. at least so far..  I like the Creative Audio it has which is the main reason I purchased this board...  I don't want to have to buy one seperatly and I certainly have never liked realtek onboard audio

My system is

4790k Devils canyon
16gb g.SKILL Ripjaws x 1600 CAS 9
Gigabyte z97 g1 sniper
Sapphire r9 290 tri x O/C
EVGA 750W G2 PSU
Silicon power SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 640gb Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Thanks
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:38:19 am by Candymancan »

Re: brand new GIGABYTE Z97 G1 SNIPER is reboot looping !!!! GRRR
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:03:10 pm »
On your mobo you have a debug LCD, what code does it give? Also the beep or beeps you're hearing are important to as those are referred to as beep codes. How many beeps and what are the lengths of the beeps...example; 1 long beep and 2 short beeps? 

Re: brand new GIGABYTE Z97 G1 SNIPER is reboot looping !!!! GRRR
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:30:18 pm »
I didn't see any codes long enough.. I saw like A2-AE and then 02 really quick before it rebooted.. it booted too fast..  It was one beep..

I updated the bios to R7 because it supports my CPU as the bios was seeing my cpu as a 4770..  It made things much worse.. now I couldn't boot with GEN 1-2-3 however I fixed the problem..  I went to bed to get some sleep to think on a fresh mind and within 5 minutes of me waking up I turned off the CPU graphics and it booted fine in GEN1 then I changed it to 2 and booted fine and now im talking to you with GEN3 enabled and it boots fine as well.

So it seems its a conflict between the integrated graphics on the CPU and the dedicated GPU.  Thank god its fixed I didn't want to deal with RMAS