Official GIGABYTE Forum

Where to find a overall + deep understanding for Smart Fan Advanced?

DaddyCoolSwe

• I believe in a life before death
Hi All,

I´m on my third gen Gigabyte mobo; GA-Z97X-Gaming G1. I have gradually during the last 10 years learn more and more about the mobos and their capabilities. (Yes, I´m a slow learner) And that is not thanks to the manual, but rather forums and trial-and-error.

Even today I can’t figure out exactly how the bios fan Control works. I have a FD Define S case with 5 Noctua-fans and a FD Kelvin 24S (AIO) CPU-cooler, all fans + pump connected to fan connectors on the mobo. And I control the fan speed with SIV/Smart Fan Advanced.. or at least I try to.

Do any of you guys know if there is a thread at this forum handling this subject in particular (yes, I`ve try to search) or any article or anything on the net?

I have a lot of questions:
- do SIV/Smart Fan Advanced often mix up which connector is which on the mobo?
- after calibration (overall fan workload), why is some of my 1500 RPM (PWM) fans limited to 700 RPM and others not?
- how do I set/choose Smart fan or RPM fixed mode, or are they combined?
- In the Smart fan-windows, besides CPU.. the temperature axis, is it always the system temp that it´s refer to?
..and I have probably even more questions.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for my bad English.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:33:38 pm by DaddyCoolSwe »

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
Re: Where to find a overall + deep understanding for Smart Fan Advanced?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 06:15:40 pm »
Greetings,
Like many others, I don't typically install manufacturer's included apps from a MB CD, except for drivers.  My UD5H build was no different.  However, after seeing the recent post from hafexo where he experienced BSOD after upgrading AppCenter or SIV, I decided to give it a try on my board.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16102.msg96156#msg96156

I'm running windows 8.1.  & latest version of .net.  I knew AppCenter was a prerequisite to install SIV.  I installed the latest versions of both apps from the downloads section for my board.   No issues were noted.

Your specific Questions:

A: I don't have any problems with SIV incorrectly identifying which fan is connected to which header.  While there are 4 headers, BIOS and SIV only display Sys_Fan1-3.

- after calibration (overall fan workload), why is some of my 1500 RPM (PWM) fans limited to 700 RPM and others not?
A: This is a "by design" feature.  There are two places where you can control your fans.  BIOS and SIV. All fans operate at thresholds based on workload for the selected profile.  This is why a 1500RPM fan could operate at 1/2 or variable speed based on a profile, thermal variables or workload. Conflicts can arise if you tell BIOS to do one thing and SIV to do another.     

A: Smart fan adjusts all fan speeds proportionally based on my above comments.  Fixed mode allows the fans to work based on a predefined profile or curve.  This is adjustable, just like the fan curve in EVGA Precision for a graphics card.   

- In the Smart fan-windows, besides CPU.. the temperature axis, is it always the system temp that it´s refer to?
A: Yes, system temp.

Hope this helps a little  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 06:16:19 pm by shadowsports »
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW

DaddyCoolSwe

• I believe in a life before death
Re: Where to find a overall + deep understanding for Smart Fan Advanced?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »
Greetings,
Like many others, I don't typically install manufacturer's included apps from a MB CD, except for drivers.  My UD5H build was no different.  However, after seeing the recent post from hafexo where he experienced BSOD after upgrading AppCenter or SIV, I decided to give it a try on my board.

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16102.msg96156#msg96156

I'm running windows 8.1.  & latest version of .net.  I knew AppCenter was a prerequisite to install SIV.  I installed the latest versions of both apps from the downloads section for my board.   No issues were noted.

Your specific Questions:

A: I don't have any problems with SIV incorrectly identifying which fan is connected to which header.  While there are 4 headers, BIOS and SIV only display Sys_Fan1-3.

A: This is a "by design" feature.  There are two places where you can control your fans.  BIOS and SIV. All fans operate at thresholds based on workload for the selected profile.  This is why a 1500RPM fan could operate at 1/2 or variable speed based on a profile, thermal variables or workload. Conflicts can arise if you tell BIOS to do one thing and SIV to do another.     

A: Smart fan adjusts all fan speeds proportionally based on my above comments.  Fixed mode allows the fans to work based on a predefined profile or curve.  This is adjustable, just like the fan curve in EVGA Precision for a graphics card.   

A: Yes, system temp.

Hope this helps a little  :)

Thanks a lot! Cheers!