Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-970A-DS3P Rev 2.0 Restart/Lockup Issues

Lyhtmyst

• Powered by AMD
GA-970A-DS3P Rev 2.0 Restart/Lockup Issues
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:25:06 pm »
Hello forum,

I'm hoping I can get a bit of advise with my case. I have been back and forth many times with GB tech support tickets, but nothing concrete yet.

ISSUE:
My issue is that randomly, using GPU/CPU intensive applications, such as DirectX 11 games, Adobe After Effects, or anything that taxes the GPU/CPU, the computer will restart itself, or the OS will lock up, depending on the severity.

NOTES:
As per CPUID HWMonitor's tool, I cannot see any temperature issues. I have also tested with only 1 DIMM slot of RAM, which boots Windows, but since I have a 4x2GB configuration I can't really run Adobe After Effects, which is a program that I am able to guarantee the issue to pop up when rendering a very heavy project.

This is my first AMD CPU/Mobo combo that I bought a month or so ago, and my first Gigabyte product, the video card worked flawlessly on my Intel build (AMD R9 270 from HiS).

At this point I am pretty much pinning the issue down on the northbridge of the motherboard, despite the fact that I have had no air cooling issues with my chassis/heatsink prior to switching to AMD, the bridge feels hot to the touch.

The representative I spoke with seems to indicate that it wouldn't be possible, or something along those lines, but Googling my dilemma with the board part number suggests otherwise.

The Powersupply is 750w, and mid-high grade model, which I purchased in person in a PC store in my city, and again I never had an issue with Intel, so I am ruling that out as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
-Lyhtmyst

shure

Re: GA-970A-DS3P Rev 2.0 Restart/Lockup Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 06:02:42 pm »
Hi there,

it sounds quite similar to a problem I have with my PC, which boils down to a compatibility issue between my CPU (AMD Athlon II X2 260) and my RAM (DDR3 1600).  I can boot windows and run some light tasks, but as soon as I do anything remotely intensive the PC either freezes or reboots.  Apparently my CPU has trouble with RAM above 1333 and my new motherboard (Gigabyte GA970A-UD3P) isn't able to compensate like my old Asus could.  I sourced some older 1333 RAM and everything runs fine, apart from the fact that I've only got 4GB of it!

It might help if you post your system specs?

Lyhtmyst

• Powered by AMD
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:38:29 pm »
Hi there,

it sounds quite similar to a problem I have with my PC, which boils down to a compatibility issue between my CPU (AMD Athlon II X2 260) and my RAM (DDR3 1600).  I can boot windows and run some light tasks, but as soon as I do anything remotely intensive the PC either freezes or reboots.  Apparently my CPU has trouble with RAM above 1333 and my new motherboard (Gigabyte GA970A-UD3P) isn't able to compensate like my old Asus could.  I sourced some older 1333 RAM and everything runs fine, apart from the fact that I've only got 4GB of it!

It might help if you post your system specs?

That actually sounds like it may be my issue, I've tried reseating the RAM DIMM's, but no dice.

Mobo: GA-970-DS30 Rev 2.0
CPU: AMD FX 6350
RAM: G.Skill 4x2GB (8GB) DDR3 1600
Video: AMD HiS R9 270 2GB GDDR5

It may possibly also be a RAM incompatability, I didn't find my exact RAM model on the compatability list, but one that is very similar to it. These sticks are also from 2011/2012, so I may upgrade them, but I want to be sure that it's not the motherboard, first.
-Lyhtmyst

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:16:00 pm »
Go into ATI CCC center and look at Performance Then look at the temp of the card.  Your CPU will support up to 1866 memory. It sound more like a heat problem. What are to temps?
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Lyhtmyst