Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA790XT-UD4P and Athlon II X4 620 Upgrading GPU issues(bottleneck,overclock)

psof

Hello everyone!
I made the following system by myself 4-5 years ago.

PSU: Cooler Master B600 ver. 2.0 (600w) (I bought that one a few months ago)
CPU: Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga-ma790XT UD4P
Ram: 4x2gb XMS3 DHX Corsair DDR3(Dual channel) @1066mhz (Their specs are for 1333mhz but for some reason at that speed my PC has random freezes and so I underclocked them)
GPU: Ati radeon HD 5770 1gb

I decided that I have to make a upgrade to gain some performance boost. My budget is limited though and I can either buy a new CPU/APU with a new mobo or just a modern GPU. I decided that I will gain the biggest perfomance boost if I just replace my 5770.

I have a few concerns though..

1) Can my mobo run the modern GPUs without any problems. The latest bios update is only from 2012...

2) Will my weak CPU cause a severe bottle neck to my new GPU. Could a possible overclock @ 3.0-3.2 ghz make any difference at all?

3) Does my low ram speed (1066mhz) affects or will affect in any major way my gaming experience with the new GPU and thus I should look into that more and somehow make it run stable @ 1333mhz?

The GPUs I consider to buy are the following:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX960 GV-N960WF2OC-2GD 2GB
or
Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD 4GB
or
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WindForce 3X OC (Previous/older generation of gpu. Could it possible fit better to my old system? It's the stronger of the three anyway.)

(All of them from Gigabyte like my Motherboard! Will that be any of help at all?)

I know I'm aiming a bit too high but I just want to buy the best possible gpu for my money in order to last at least 2-3 years down the road in case I also manage to upgrade both my CPU and Mobo in the future.

I just want to know If I will be able to run that kind of GPU in my system without hardware issues and if a possible overclock to this CPU will make any visible difference to the upcoming bottle neck.

For bonus If you also have any idea about the ram speed problem or if you think that going from 1066 to 1333mhz isn't going to make any real difference in gaming tell me pls.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:03:45 pm by psof »