Official GIGABYTE Forum

Need help with RAID array and M.2 SSD on Z170X-UD5

Need help with RAID array and M.2 SSD on Z170X-UD5
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »
I'm looking for a little help/guidance with my system. I have Z170X-UD5 and installed a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 in the M2H_32G slot.

I've installed Windows 7 on the drive while the BIOS was set to AHCI mode.

Recently, I've been trying to add a pair of hard drives in RAID 0. I have these plugged into SATA ports 0 and 1. I switched the BIOS to RAID mode and was able to create the array, but the system was unable to boot afterward, and the bios doesn't show the 950 pro as a boot option.

When I switched back to AHCI mode, I could boot up again. Windows can see the RAID array as well (it appears to be working), though the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software has a Status message saying "Your system is reporting one or more events, and your data may be at risk." There's no further information, and nothing available to manage in the Intel software.

I was hoping someone had some advice on how I should proceed.

Does the BIOS need to be in RAID mode, even though it appears to be working?
If so, how do I get it to recognize the SSD?

Any help would be appreciated.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Need help with RAID array and M.2 SSD on Z170X-UD5
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 02:20:53 pm »
You have to run AHCI or Raid you can't run both at the same time. You will have to start over and have all drives set to Raid. But we have found that when using Samsung drives you might have to install Intel RST drivers in Windows Setup. If you don't install that driver you might not see the Samsung drive.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: Need help with RAID array and M.2 SSD on Z170X-UD5
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:46:36 pm »
You have to run AHCI or Raid you can't run both at the same time. You will have to start over and have all drives set to Raid. But we have found that when using Samsung drives you might have to install Intel RST drivers in Windows Setup. If you don't install that driver you might not see the Samsung drive.

Yes, the BIOS had no problems finding the drive in AHCI, but I had to supply drivers for Windows Setup to get the OS installed.

So, the fact that the RAID array is working in AHCI right now is some kind of a fluke, or unreliable, then? I was surprised that it was recognized by Windows, even though I didn't have RAID mode set in the BIOS.