Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help ! New Z170-HD3P with Skylake cpu ... black screen and no beep !

Hi all,

I need help, my PSU has broken due to voltage change to more than 13V on 12V rail measured by multimeter (I did cleaning with compressed air too "direct"), also my mobo and cpu were broken.
Fortunately both are 10 years old so a good excuse to renew all.

I purchased mobo Giagabyte Z170-HD3P, Skylake processor Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz and 1 bank of ram Corsair 8GB DDR4 to 2666 MHz (which was recommended by the components dealer).

Great! I install everything, it switches on ... bam, power supply and CPU fans turn, mobo shows yellow LED but on monitor I get a black screen and no beep !!
Ditto if I remove the RAM bank.

I checked everything, any contacts, removed the mobo from the case, verified cpu pins ... nothing, all right!

So, definitely I have 2 problems:

1) broken Speaker PC, the case is the same as the "old" PC and didn't do any beep while functioning properly. Here I obviously linked the Speaker to the pins on the mobo F_PANEL, plus PW_LED, HD_LED and the switch on. The LEDs light up and also the pc, no sound

2) I assume that the RAM - recommended by the dealer - isn't supported. Giagabyte manual says "DDR4 with 2133 Mhz" and downloading from the site I found the attached table, the Corsair at 2666 MHz is supported, but under certain conditions that I have NOT clear. However, the S / N that is not there, I have one bank Corsair 8GB to 2666 MHz, in the table are talking about double side banks (2RX8) ...

Maybe updating the BIOS, my RAM would be recognized, but I can't get the BIOS without RAM (I have also tried to put the latest BIOS to USB memory stick and start with that but without RAM .. always all black !!)

I'm considering to buy new case - at least I would like to hear a lot of beep ! - and the new RAM in exactly the specified list

Thank you all for any advice !!!
Ale

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Help ! New Z170-HD3P with Skylake cpu ... black screen and no beep !
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 07:55:59 pm »
The thing yes the memory might be supported but not till you do a bios update. What I would do is bring that memory back to them and see if you can get 2133. You really not going to much in speed boost using the 2666 memory. There is a lot of people having the same problem with the Z170 boards.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 11:01:03 pm »
The thing yes the memory might be supported but not till you do a bios update. What I would do is bring that memory back to them and see if you can get 2133. You really not going to much in speed boost using the 2666 memory. There is a lot of people having the same problem with the Z170 boards.

Ok thanks, so I'll get a 2133 Mhz bank in place of the 2666 Mhz.

In order to avoid errors, do you suggest Single Side or Double Side ? DS shuold be slower but if I look at the Gigabyte White Paper (in attach the PDF, grouped by RAM frequency), for example it supports only Corsair 8GB Double Side at 2133 Mhz ... it seems weird !

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:33 pm »
Ok thanks, so I'll get a 2133 Mhz bank in place of the 2666 Mhz.

In order to avoid errors, do you suggest Single Side or Double Side ? DS shuold be slower but if I look at the Gigabyte White Paper (in attach the PDF, grouped by RAM frequency), for example it supports only Corsair 8GB Double Side at 2133 Mhz ... it seems weird !

Hi,

I've bought Corsair 8GB at 2133 Mhz (model CMV8GX4M1A2133C15, listed in the supported RAM Modules) but result is the same.
I've tested one by one on each RAM slot, but always black screen (no signal) !

Now the doubt could be the cpu (Skylake processor Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz) even if it's listed in the supported CPUs.

So now I don't know what to do apart from going to the dealer and asking for a new mobo or CPU, considering these ones broken !!!

Thanks in advance for any other ideas !

Best regards
Ale

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:15 pm »
A few questions.......

What PSU are you using?

Are you using the on-board graphics or a GPU?

How are you connecting to the PC monitor?

The 8 pin connector for the CPU is plugged in correctly as are all other power leads?

Have you tried a very basic build outside of the PC Case on a cardboard box? (By basic I mean just CPU, one stick of RAM, Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard?)

Have you cleared CMOS by removing the motherboard battery and leaving it out for at least 30 minutes?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:04:58 pm »
A few questions.......

What PSU are you using?

Are you using the on-board graphics or a GPU?

How are you connecting to the PC monitor?

The 8 pin connector for the CPU is plugged in correctly as are all other power leads?

Have you tried a very basic build outside of the PC Case on a cardboard box? (By basic I mean just CPU, one stick of RAM, Monitor, Mouse & Keyboard?)

Have you cleared CMOS by removing the motherboard battery and leaving it out for at least 30 minutes?

Hi,

thanks for your answer !

My new PSU is an Antec 620W High Current Gamer (not modular), I've connected it with the classical 24pin plug to the mobo (it turns on the yellow leds, psu / cpu fans turn), I've connected the DVI plug from monitor to the plug on-board on the mobo (I've also a PCI-ex GPU that isn't connected so far).
Finally I've plugged the 8 pin plug to the CPU.

Everything is very basic, no other connections apart from keyboard to the USB on-board and of course the F_PANEL connections for power led, speaker (broken  :() and power switch ... all of these from the case of course.
No hard disk, no dvd reader.

I've put the mobo outside the case, just to avoid any possibile short circuit.
I've also tried to reset CMOS (touching the 2 pins with a screwdriver then it restarted automatically) and I've also tried to remove the CMOS battery (actually for about 10 minutes).

Please look at the picture and just let me know if you have some more ideas, very appreciated !

Best regards
Ale
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 09:05:31 pm by alemito »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:15:41 am »
Sorry to say that, if you still can't get the board to fire up then, there is nothing more that you can do except start to return parts to find out which is causing the problem.

The only other thing that you can try before doing that is to get hold of a pc motherboard speaker so that you can hear any beeps that the board might be making, as that would possibly help track down the problem.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.