Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-B85-HD3 (rev 2.1) 2K monitor issues when CSM disabled

arsradu

Re: GA-B85-HD3 (rev 2.1) 2K monitor issues when CSM disabled
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 02:42:51 pm »
It used to take about 30-40 seconds with full UEFI boot.

That is even before you had your problem with the new monitor is to slow for windows 10. I have a Z77 board with windows 7 that boots faster than that. How do you have the sata controller set?

My laptop with windows 8.1 and now 10 on it boots in 15 sec. I'm sorry but you might not have something not set right just saying. I have to ask when you install windows? Did you just put in the disk and install it.

Does the bios have a boot manager that it boots from in the first boot option?

Windows 10 has been installed about 3-4 months ago. It's been installed as an update to Windows 8.1.

The BIOS does have that option, but I installed it from a USB drive, and selecting F12 upon boot to run it. It might run faster with a clean install, rather than an upgrade. I don't know.

SATA controller is set to Auto.

Anyway, can we focus on the inability to boot, neither to BIOS or boot manager (F12) when CSM is set to Never, when it used to work perfectly with exactly the same settings, but a different monitor? :) Cause that is the main issue I am trying to fix here.

I would just like to turn off CSM, just like it used to be before the monitor change, and use my computer in "full UEFI mode", since all the components of this "circle" are UEFI enabled (MB + video card + OS).

Do you have a higher res display, as well? I mean something above 1080p. Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard with CSM options? Do you have a UEFI graphics card? Can you successfully disable CSM and still be able to boot after that?

I know you're probably using a newer motherboard, a newer platform and overall a better computer, but keep in mind that I'm not a gamer, and an i5-4570 is quite good for what I need, which is mostly photo editing, browsing and stuff like that.

Also, maybe someone here can tell me what is the difference between a gaming motherboard and a non-gaming motherboard. Aside from the design and, in case of ROG motherboards, some LED controllers and bling-blings and all that stuff. Oh, and also, the price. :D
But no. Seriously, I'm really curious. I love the design of the gaming motherboards (especially the black ones with red accent colors), even though I'm not a gamer. I didn't buy one cause I didn't need one. It's as simple as that.

I'm just curious what do those have that is important for the better functionality of the computer overall.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 02:50:12 pm by arsradu »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 04:02:10 pm »
Windows 10 has been installed about 3-4 months ago. It's been installed as an update to Windows 8.1.

I just knew you were going to come back with that. There is your whole problem. The sata controller has to be set to AHCI.  You want everything to work right you have to start all over. That is why a lot of the stuff isn't working. You really not in UEFI.

You want it to work? Set the sata controller to AHCI. Put in copy of windows 10 in the DVD drive or if you are using a USB drive have that plug in. Go into the Bios and boot to the UEFI DVD or UEFI USB. Set the other OS to windows 8/10. Reboot and install windows.

Than you can change the CSM to enabled or disabled. Do that after you have everything installed. Even with this not set at all you should see really fast boot times. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:04:04 pm by dmdilks »
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

arsradu

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »

I just knew you were going to come back with that. There is your whole problem. The sata controller has to be set to AHCI.  You want everything to work right you have to start all over. That is why a lot of the stuff isn't working. You really not in UEFI.

You want it to work? Set the SATA controller to AHCI. Put in copy of windows 10 in the DVD drive or if you are using a USB drive have that plug in. Go into the Bios and boot to the UEFI DVD or UEFI USB. Set the other OS to windows 8/10. Reboot and install windows.

Than you can change the CSM to enabled or disabled. Do that after you have everything installed. Even with this not set at all you should see really fast boot times.
Sorry, I got confused. :D I was talking about XHCI which is a totally different thing. And that one is set to Smart Auto indeed.

The SATA controller is already set to AHCI. It doesn't even have an "Auto" option. It's either AHCI or IDE. I don't think I would be able to boot with it set to IDE. Who uses IDE anyway?

So, it always was AHCI. Even before I got the monitor. I never touched that. Also, Windows 10 was installed in UEFI mode. I am positive about that. Windows 8.1 was also installed in UEFI mode. When I select the boot drive for Windows 10, it says "UEFI:" in front of that drive. So yes, it is UEFI. :) It should have probably been a clean installation. But that's another story. :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:28:08 pm by arsradu »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:27 pm »
It should be booting from a windows Boot Manager. I have build about 20 to 30 computers use the UEFI DVD drive and every one of them boots in about 20 sec or less. That is windows 7 & 10.

Sorry doing a upgrade just doesn't cut it. Till you really do a clean install. There is really nothing I can say sorry. That way you know everything is right at this point you really don't no that for sure.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

arsradu

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 10:22:05 pm »
It should be booting from a windows Boot Manager. I have build about 20 to 30 computers use the UEFI DVD drive and every one of them boots in about 20 sec or less. That is windows 7 & 10.

Sorry doing a upgrade just doesn't cut it. Till you really do a clean install. There is really nothing I can say sorry. That way you know everything is right at this point you really don't no that for sure.
Ok, I did a clean install. And even though the boot speed did improve, and that's because Windows doesn't actually completely turn OFF the HDD when you turn off your computer (which allows for faster boot times), the actual problem with CSM stays the same. :(