Official GIGABYTE Forum

Anything I change on my ga x99 sli bios results in a boot failure

So let me begin, I am new to the gigabyte forums, in fact this is my very 1st topic. I am kind of desperate at this point as nothing seems to help my situation. The problem is this...About a month ago I built a new computer, my very first one in fact. Everything runs great except for the part where I can't enable the xmp profile, or over clock the cpu. Actually I can't make any changed in the bios without getting a boot fail. I have the latest bios from the tweak town site installed(f21c). I did have the f21a from gigabyte, but when it didn't help things I changed it. BTW this is my computer...

WIN - 10 64(upgraded from win 7/64)
CPU - i7 5930k
CPU COOLING - corsair h110i gtx
RAM - f4-3200c16q - 16grkd x2(32gb)
MOBO - ga x99 sli
GPU - asus gtx 980 strix sli
PSU - evga 1000g
CASE - corsair obsidian 750d

The thing I find really strange is how I can overclock the cpu to 4.1 using easy tune with just the click of a button, but when I try to do it manually from the bios I get a boot failure.

As far as the xmp profile goes I should note that I have returned my original ram the g skill trident z 3200, as it was not on the gigabyte xmp supported list. My current ram is on that list, but I can't get it to work either.
 I have tried raising the s.a voltage by 0.20 - 0.25. And also raising the DRAM voltage by 0.10(as suggested by tom's hardware site). Neither helped!

I would think I have a dud board except for the fact that everything works as smooth as butter on optimal settings. And that's really a great thing except for the fact that I paid extra for 3200mhz ram that is running @ 2133mhz, and also paid a lot for my cpu, and to have the option to overclock it. The only thing I really skimped on is the motherboard, and the only reason I did that was because the computer guy at Canada Computers(where I bought all my stuff) recommended it. I told him I was willing to pay up to $1000cdn for a motherboard to go with the i7 5930k and to point me to the best one. He told me that it wasn't necessary. That the ga x99 sli was just as good as any of the higher priced premium boards, and at a fraction of the price. He went on to tell me how they hardly ever got returns, or complaints on this board.
 I was having a hard time wrapping my mind around this as I fully expected a sales rep at a computer store to try selling me something much more expensive then I was willing to pay. At least that had been my experience in the past! So I took him at his word, and got the ga x99 sli. Did I make a mistake? I don't know. Do I need to exchange it? Tell me please. Have I just not enabled some sort of option in the bios perhaps, something that allows you to make changes? That's kind of what it feels like, although I have never heard of this option, and I have looked pretty darn hard.

Really guys any advise will be greatly appreciated as I am almost at the end of my rope here.

Re: Anything I change on my ga x99 sli bios results in a boot failure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:43 am »
I'm about to show my butt here but.....Can having win 10/64 installed be affecting the bios? In other words , does the operating system have any affect on the bios?
 I find win 10 a bit wonky, which is to be expected as it is still an infant, but I'm looking for any explanation as to whats going on here. I need to know if my motherboard is faulty, so I can begin the process of replacing it if need be.
 That brings up another question, if I can't overclock my cpu/memory is that grounds for an exchange? Like I stated before, my computer runs great except for the fact that I cant overclock my cpu/memory.

I should also point out that the title of this thread might be a little misleading, as I am able to change a few things in the bios like the boot sequence and having the logo enabled, or not.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 12:50:00 pm »
Have you tried to raise it slowly? Try different speed and see what it will run at. The CPU really only supports 2133 by default. Yes you should be able to run it at 3200. That is the memory is supported by XMP. 

The memory thing is more a selling point or bragging right that you run 3200 memory. There really is no speed boost running 2133 to 3200. One other thing is just try one stick to see if you can get it to run at 3200 then try 2.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 03:07:27 am »
Yes I have tried raising things slowly. I have tried all manner of changes. I figure I have gotten at least 100 boot fails from trying 100 different changed in the bios. I have tried 1 stick at a time ram insertion.
 Do you think win 10 could be messing with things? Does the operating system have an effect on the bios? I'm half tempted to try a fresh install with win 7 just to see if it is win 10, but I don't think I will, as I said before ..everything is working great except for not being able to oc the cpu, and also not being able to enable the xmp profile! BTW I'm glad to hear that the difference between 2133mhz and 3200mhz is not even noticeable, that kinda makes me feel a bit better!

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 05:38:52 am »
I figured it out and all is well in the world! For some reason having external hard drives attached during startup effected things. By unhooking the usb devices I was able to successfully enable the xmp profile and oc the cpu.

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:36:35 pm »
On the USB drive is it a 2.0 or 3.0? Do you have it plugged into the right port? I never leave any USB drives on or plug in when not using them. You try changing this too.

USB Support
Disabled - All USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes.
Full Initial - All USB devices are functional in the operating system and during the POST.
Partial Initial - Part of the USB devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes. (Default)

This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled. This function is disabled when Fast Boot
is set to Ultra Fast.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:41:13 am »
OMG I very well could be the stupidest person in the world! When I think of all the hours I have put into trying to figure this out, and the answer was right there the whole time IF ONLY I BOTHERED TO READ THE FINE PRINT!
 I had 1 of my usb 3.0 devices plugged into a "bios" usb port...DUHH! So every time I went into the bios to change something and then rebooted it would read from that port and give the boot fail!
 In my defense I am a big guy 6'3 260 and it's hard for me to get down there into small hard to reach places, so when I was plugging in my 3 external hard drives I was just matching the blue colours up(3.0 is blue, 2.0 is white). I have on the back of the pc 3x blue usb ports all in a row beside each other. 2 of them are usb 3.0 and 1 of them I just discovered is BIOS!

To be honest I was going to leave this thread alone and just never return, cuz who wants to admit that they are that stupid, but I gave it some thought and figured that if I can help even 1 person out then I guess I should, and here I am. Problem is solved. If I had not plugged that 1 device into the blue usb bios port there would have never been a problem in the 1st place. but all is solved.