rdn

GB-Z77X-UH3D: System Freeze when trying to get into BIOS
« on: May 08, 2016, 11:44:17 pm »
My System:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, Rev. 1.1
CPU: Intel i7
HDD: Corsair ForceGS SSD with Windows 10
RAM: 16 gb Kingstom RAM

I was copying large files around, when suddenly Windows stopped reacting. Looked like explorer.exe crashed, couldn't access Task Manager, so I used the Reset Button to reset the PC.

After reboot, i got greeted with a grub recovery console, which is strange, but I remember that there is an old grub bootloader on one of the external drives from a failed dualboot experiment.

I disconnected all external drives and restarted, just to get the generic boot device not found error. I restarted again and tried to go into bios, but when hitting DEL in the boot loading screen, the system froze and the pc boot logo wouldn't go away. I was unable to get into bios at all. I suspected that my boot drive died and bios hung itself up trying to access the faulty device. So I disconnected all internal drives as well, but the situation didn't change.

I connected the SSD with the win10 OS to my laptop via an external harddrive case and could access all the data on the SSD and performed a checkdisk scan, which returned no error messages.

I then used a switch on the mainboard to reset the bios. PC started, got a dialog asking me what to do (restore default bios) which at first I couldn't click because the usb keyboard wasn't detected. I used another one and managed to go into the default bios again. I started changing a few settings, like VM hardware support, when suddenly bios freaked out and it looked like I was holding arrow-down-key pressed, which I didn't. Unable to input anything at all, I restarted again, with the result that the freeze-on-bios thing happened again.

I checked the manual, the two-digit-bios codes on the on-board LED screen didn't say any useful things, so that didn't help.
So far I repeated the process a few times with no change in result and now

I turned off the power and removed the Mainboards battery in hopes to reset the whole thing alltogether and try once more.

Is there anything I can try? Or is the mainboard broken?