Official GIGABYTE Forum

Computer randomly crashes and won't start back up

Re: Computer randomly crashes and won't start back up
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »
Alright in my bios I set my RAM speeds down to 2133MHz, took out one of the sticks and put the other in the far right grey slot, and enabled XMP. It STILL crashed. What's the plan of action next?

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 11:23:51 pm »
I assumed you would do that step by step not all in one go, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Question that need answering: Are both memory sticks working fine?
Stick A works fine at 2133Mhz in far right grey slot ?
Stick A works fine at XMP 2400Mhz in far right grey slot ?
Stick B works fine at 2133Mhz in far right grey slot ?
Stick B works fine at XMP 2400Mhz in far right grey slot ?

Stick A works fine at 2133Mhz in far left grey slot ?
Stick A works fine at XMP 2400Mhz in far left grey slot ?
Stick B works fine at 2133Mhz in far left grey slot ?
Stick B works fine at XMP 2400Mhz in far left grey slot ?

Stick A + B both grey slots at 2133Mhz = ?
Stick A + B both grey slots at XMP 2400Mhz = We know crashes

Fill in the blanks and you will have some answers.

Assuming all stable at 2133Mhz, CPU is having issues running the 2400Mhz.
What can happen over time is the CPU changes slightly, degenerates so what once worked no longer does.

If XMP 2400Mhz only crashes in one of the Grey slots, points to CPU memory controller, related to the above.

How to resolve?
Hard to say as if your CPU is the cause then its possible you will never be stable over 2133Mhz. Some kits provide higher memory timings, those numbers you see 2400Mhz 16-16-16-X.

Do you have access to any testing parts, friends RAM, CPU?
My PC is evolving

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2016, 02:53:42 pm »
Alright sorry for the late response but my life has been pretty hectic for the last week. I launched it up again with the RAM stick in the far right grey slot, it crashed BUT actually restarted right after. It has been working just fine since then (apart from missing 8gb of ram) and I can actually play with my friends without being scared s***less I crash mid game. Thanks so much for all your help and support!

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 06:57:40 pm »
For a moment I Thought maybe I scared you away :)

That crash might not have been a crash but more of the motherboard doing its self configuration.
Usually when you power on for the first time with new hardware or make a significant change the motherboard/BIOS will detect this and perform some kind of adjustment.

With the more recent boards, this adjustment requires a restart or power cycle <that is the board will turn off momentarily and turn back on / work. So if it was just once then it could have been that, all working since more likely too.

If you want to go further and have the time find out which combinations work and you will have the solution.
My PC is evolving