Official GIGABYTE Forum

Best configuration of SATA drives on a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo?

My motherboard is a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 rev. 1.0. It has 5 internal SATA connections controlled by the Intel chipset, and 2 controlled by a Marvell chipset. I have 2 drives installed, as follows:

Intel Chipset:
SATA3_0      6Gb/s   SSD boot drive (500GB Samsung SSD)
SATA3_1      6Gb/s   HDD data drive (3TB Western Digital Black)
SATA2_2      3Gb/s   DVD drive
SATA2_3      3Gb/s   (unused)
SATA2_4      3Gb/s   (unused)

Marvell chipset:
GSATA3_5   6Gb/s   Marvell   (unused)
GSATA3_6   6Gb/s   Marvell   (unused)

1) I want to install a second HDD: a 3TB Western Digital Green. Am I better off putting it on SATA2 controlled by Intel, even though the only free connectors are 3GB/s, or should I put it on one of the free Marvell 6GB/s connectors? Does it make any difference?

2) While I'm on the subject, my power supply (a 775 Watt Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-775M) was powering the SSD, HDD and DVD drives off one power cable. To install another HDD I'll need to connect another power cable (because the drives are spaced too far apart to all fit on the same cable.) Should I put the second HDD on this 2nd cable by itself, or should I try to balance the drives by making it two and two on each cable? Again, does it make any difference?

3) FWIW, when I tested installing the second HDD on SATA2_3, I noticed that Windows 10's Disk Management tool listed the second HDD as Disk 0, my boot drive as Disk 1, and my original HDD as Disk 2. (Previously my boot drive had been Disk 0.) I gather from what I've read that this is not a problem. Is that true?

Thanks!

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
Re: Best configuration of SATA drives on a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 01:28:51 am »
#1 I would put it on the Marvell controller. Any hard drive that is 6gb I would use the 6 gb ports. 

#2 You have enough power even if you add more drives. That PSU has some thing around 63 amps.

#3 It really doesn't matter about how windows picks up your drive. If every thing is working you will work fine.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

Re: Best configuration of SATA drives on a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 mobo?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:02 pm »
Ok, thanks! I've got it on the Marvell controller right now and all seems well.