Official GIGABYTE Forum

UEFI BIOS Screen Resolution Issue?

sygnus21

UEFI BIOS Screen Resolution Issue?
« on: June 23, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »
Question/Issue... I’ve got a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming GT motherboard consisting of….

• Intel i7-6700K
    Corsair H115i AIO CPU Cooler
    32gig Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM (3333)
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 Fury (Non-OC)
    Samsung 950 Pro NVME, m.2 SSD drive (OS)
    Samsung 850 Pro (data/photo work)
    WD 2TB drive (Games, data, backup)
    SoundBlaster ZXR Soundcard
    LG-Blu-Ray Drive
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 (1000-watt) PS
    Cooler Master HAF-X case
    Windows 10 x64 Pro
    NEC MultiSync PA242 (24”) monitor
Anyway here’s the issue… with my current GPU (Sapphire R9 Fury) installed on the Z170X board, when in the UEFI BIOS, the default screen resolution reduces to 1024 x 760, which is far from my native resolution of 1920 x 1200.  However, when the system boots into Windows, the resolution automatically adjusts to the screen’s native res. So no biggie there, all is good.

However, researching why this weird behavior occurs on this board when it didn’t happen with my Z87 (Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5) is still a mystery.  That said, I did discover an odd repeatable issue… If I use an HDMI cable, the native resolution of the screen (1920 x 1200) does work in the UEFI BIOS; with a DisplayPort cable, the native resolution on goes to 1024 x 760 (in the UEFI BIOS).

Oddly enough, this same GPU (no mods, or BIOS updates) used on my Z87 board allows full native resolution in UEFI with no issues.

So, my question… can anyone else confirm this?  Differing screen resolutions in the UEFI BIOS depending on cable used - DisplayPort vs HDMI.

Thanks.