Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-UD3P wont boot

gotngb

P55-UD3P wont boot
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »
Okay I got this brand new a couple of days ago along with compatible corsair ram and a 2.66 CPU.

I set it all up and when I pressed the power button, the fans span for half a second, then it went dead. After a second or two, they spin again for about 1/2 a second. This keeps repeating.

I removed the motherboard from the chassis to ensure it wasn't shorting out. I then removed all the components, including the CPU and the RAM in order to see if it would power up on its own. I ensured that the mobo was on an non-conductive surface and plugged in both the 8 and the 24 pin power connectors and tried to boot again. This gave me the same results.

I then removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes, again with the same results.

I know other people have been having the same issue but I've not been able to locate a solution  :-\

Pottypete

Re: P55-UD3P wont boot
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 09:19:37 pm »
Hi
Did you remove the power lead to the PSU?
Have you reset bios to optimised defaults,and entered manufacturers memory settings,
is your ram ok, checked with mem test?,
Cheers

gotngb

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 11:38:56 pm »
Thanks potty, I'm not sure how I'm meant to set BIOS or run memtest when I can't get the PC to even start, and at what point was I meant to remove the power lead from the PSU?

Pottypete

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:16:32 am »
can you check your memory on another computer or a friends pc and run memtest aswell
Remove power lead from psu, fit cmos clear jumper, remove cmos battery while you have a cup of tea for 30 mins,
have you fitted a buzzer or speaker to the mobo to see any post code beeps,
is your memory on the compatable memory list
cheers

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:17:38 am by Pottypete »

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:04:18 pm »
lol  nothing wrong with the ram you need to install it in the white sockets on the mobo not the blue ones ...

gotngb

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:33:13 pm »
Already tried all this I'm afraid.

Pottypete

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 04:11:49 pm »
Hi,
Can you post your pc specs, cpu, memory,ect,.
cheers

gotngb

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »
Posting PC specs will not resolve the issue  :)

I can't get the motherboard, on it's own, without any other components attached, to turn on.

This is a new build, the components were delivered brand new on Wednesday. The motherboard was tested one its own - the only thing plugged into it was the PSU. It would not turn on.

The motherboard was tested without any components as I always test everything bit by bit as I'm building incase something goes wrong. The issue must lie with the motherboard, and not with any other components, and certainly not with the PSU, as the PSU tested was running a completely different rig with no issues and is only a couple of months old.

With this in mind, I'm simply going to RMA the MoBo and try a different one :)

Pottypete

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 12:01:13 am »
Hi,
Quote (I removed the motherboard from the chassis to ensure it wasn't shorting out. I then removed all the components, including the CPU and the RAM in order to see if it would power up on its own. I ensured that the mobo was on an non-conductive surface and plugged in both the 8 and the 24 pin power connectors and tried to boot again. This gave me the same results.) ?
It wont post without cpu and memory installed I believe,
cheers

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:27 am »
This is the same symptoms I'm getting (already posted issue under Start Stop issue)
So is the conclusion then that the MOBO is dodgy?

Thanks
Phil

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:34 pm »
I have the fix - I believe..!!!!

Thsi exact thing happened to me. I went through all the checks, took out the MB to check for shorts, removed all connected peripherals. reseated the CPU and RAM.
I contacted overclockers who told me to RMA the MB. It was checked and found to be fine.

Rebuilt the M/C - SAME PROBLEM.......

THEN.....!!!!!   I took a big breath, read the manaul again (RTFM) and realised the OBVIOUS....

I had only connected the 24 pin power connector and NOT the 8 pin as well.

I had exactly the same symptoms as you did previously - THIS WAS THE SOLUTION...!!! THERE ARE TWO CONNECTORS TO BE FITTED....

I hope my stupidity will mirror yours and that this fixes the problem for you.   ;)

This is the fourth PC I have bulit - I've done this stuff before and should know better. I'm still sheepish at the thought!!!

Regards
Paul

Aminux

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
Huh?What 8 pin do you mean,i see only 24 pin and 4 pin cables,and 6 pin from the graphics card.
I have the same problem with my GA-965P-DS3  motherboard,no signal on the monitor.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:38:29 am by Aminux »