Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P Rev 2.x - repeated BSOD

Gigabyte 970A-DS3P Rev 2.x - repeated BSOD
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:10:07 am »
I'm going to admit, I don't know if it is my board, it's bios (version fc), the video card (amd r7 360), the drivers, Windows 7, or the immos setting I changed so I could boot Linux on another partition.

I just updated every driver on my computer. I'm about to do a Windows update.

So first, I am repeatedly getting BSOD, and it is getting to the point where I can't use my computer because I am building software on a Linux virtual machine and I can't see my test results now because when I leave my computer alone it goes BSOD. It used to do it rarely and I thought when I updated drivers the first time the problem went away, but two days ago it did it again, and yesterday it did it again, and today it did it again and I wasn't even running the virtual machine. I come back to a black screen and the lights on my mouse and keyboard were off, but the lights on the computer were on. I shut it off and turned it back on and it shows me an error message (most times) saying I had a BSOD, which failed to actually appear before I turned off my computer.

There was a side issue where my 2TB hard drive was spinning up slowly when loading it from Windows 7 on my secondary 1TB hard drive. I updated all the drivers and that was fixed, which made me think I had fixed the problem. However that was before the phantom BSOD happened again today (although it was the exact same behavior, I didn't get a message when I restarted, maybe Windows is tired of giving them).

I just found out my case was set to open, which I changed. I doubt that has anything to do with it. I also now know that my bios version is FC and the latest is FD. I do not want to update that unless I know that is the problem though, because the web site says that I can ruin my motherboard. I also don't know that I don't want to downgrade to FA, beside who knows what they've messed up trying to support Windows 10, which for all I know, I'm going to be forced to install. I should note that one time I did start my computer and it began infinitely resetting my bios, going through the process as it said it was corrupt, and then restarting, and then finding out the reset bios was corrupt and resetting it again. So I finally interrupted it and it acted fine after that. It reset many settings, including the 'expert overclock' done by CyberpowerPC, which I never put back (mostly because the stock 8CoreX3.5Ghz is awesome on it's own).

Another odd thing it does is it Windows makes a hardware beeping sound whenever I turn my monitor off and back on, as if my video card shuts on and off.  I think it does it three times, unplug sound, plugin sound, and unplug sound, I think, but then it works fine.

Yet another odd thing it does is it makes water swishing sounds in the coolant system, which I checked on, and it is supposed to be a maintenance free coolant system. I assume it's just a new noise that computers make now that I have one with powerful hardware in need of a powerful cooling system.

I have found so many weird little things about this computer since I got it (being as CyberpowerPC was willing to screw me out of four fans, I have a bad feeling about the rest of it, and my dad didn't pay for the fans as far as I know because they lied, so I think any warranty I had is void). I also realize that an expensive computer like this is used by fewer people and that less problems may be reported with it's parts in various configurations and combinations. Anybody get similar digital insanity out of this board (not that I know it's the board yet) and know a fix?

Full Specs:
GA-970A-DS3P Rev 2.x (up to date chipset, sata, raid, and other related drivers)
8GB RAM (2x4GB)
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit updated July, 2015 (about to be June, 2016 if Windows Update ever gets anywhere)
AMD FX-8320 Eight Core 3.5 ghz (originally overclocked at 3.9 ghz but reset when the bios went nuts)
AMD R7 360 - 2GB (up to date drivers)
Apevia 900W PSU
Asetek 550LC 120mm Watercooler

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 04:44:42 am by Daryl95 »