Official GIGABYTE Forum

x58A-UD3R w/ the endless "reboot" problem, some progress made but still no post

snowie

Hi!

First topic here so well, yea :D

I bought a x58A-UD3R with the famous "endless" reboot problem in the hope to fix it.

Things that i've already tried:

- Pull the baterry out for some minutes.
- Use 2 different PSU's.
- Use the GPU (750 Ti) on all PCI Express slots.

And still no change. The endless reboot it's still on.

Fact 1:I tried to remove the only RAM stick i'm testing with and the motherboard starts and keeps working but no video or either if i connect USB devices they dont work. The same happens if I put back the RAM on the slot and remove the CPU 4pin cable.

Fact 2:I found out by removing the CPU that the socket had some bent pins. 1 was a Vcc one and the other was Vss. Both of this pins were bent, i bent them back but they dont have their "heads" (??) that touch the CPU gold contacts. Later down the inspection i found another pin that was bent, that one i bent back to the original position but the body of the pin it's still deformed, as soon i checked the pinout that pins is labeled as "QPI data".

Well, is this problem happening because of the socket or may be something else?

I will do my best to bring this board back to working status again. I have a multimeter so if it's needed to measure any voltages just tell me, i'm up to do them.

edit:

a close-up photo of the problematic pins

left pin is QPI data and the other 2 are Vcc and Vss
Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:58:11 pm by snowie »

dmdilks

• "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
    • http://dmdcomputerservice.webs.com/
If the two pins are missing their heads. It will never boots. There are places out there that will replace the socket. But thing is how much money do you want to spend.
X299X Aorus Master, i9-9940x-3.30Ghz, 64gb G-Skill DDR4-2400, MSI RTX-3070 8GB, Cooler Master case, Thermal-take PSU 850w, 1-M2-NMVe SSD-512gb, 3-Pny 1TB SSD, 2-WD Raptors 1TB, Win 10 pro 64bit, Asus 35" 144Mhz Monitor.

snowie

If the two pins are missing their heads. It will never boots. There are places out there that will replace the socket. But thing is how much money do you want to spend.

Well, i have myself a reballing station, so the only cost would just be the new socket which goes for around 8€ on ebay.
Just wanted to make sure that the socket was the problem before replacing it:)

shadowsports

• Xbox One, Drives STI, Use QVL RAM For Best Results
    • Gigabyte US
No one can say with certainty what your issue is until you have confirmed the integrity of your platform, in this case the MB.  Issue like these can mask other behavior.  I personally would not invest time or money in an X58 based board.  Was it a good board, yes in its day.  This time has since passed.  No one is telling you not to try and fix it.  We hope it works out. 
Z390 AORUS PRO (F10) \850w, 9900K, 32GB GSkill TriZ RGB - 16-18-18-38, RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra, 960 Pro_m.2, W11
Z370-HD3P (F5) \750w, 8350K, 8GB LPX 3200 - 16-18-18-38, GTX 970 FTW SC, Intel SSD, 2TB RAID1, W11
Z97X-UD5H \850w, 4790K, 32GB Vengeance, RTX 2080 FTW