Official GIGABYTE Forum

Help with my GA-790FXTA-UD5 build please?

Help with my GA-790FXTA-UD5 build please?
« on: May 04, 2010, 02:23:43 am »
Hey folks,
Newbie member here hoping for some help.

I've recently purchased myself a new system, including the GA-790FXTA-UD5 motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition and OCZ PC3-12800 AMD Black 2x2GB OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK (x2, so 8gb).
Everything works, boots, posts etc and i've gone ahead and installed Win 7 64bit

The problems are these:
I've installed easy tune 6 and when it loads, it gives me an error telling me it can't find the driver.
The ram is running at 1066 for some reason, and when i load AMD Overdrive there is no 'black edition profile' button
The raid driver install things all give me a 'no driver' error. I've setup a sata3 raid array in the bios, as per the manuals instructions, but it doesn't seem overly fast to be honest... so i'm wondering if it's working in raid at all.

Just a note; i've never used win 7 or 64bit before, so apologies if these are dumb questions/problems.

Is anyone able to give me some help/advice about the issues with the ram and easy tune?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Help with my GA-790FXTA-UD5 build please?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 04:08:59 pm »
Hi,

Did you install the software from the CD that came with your Mobo or did you download the latest versions from the Gigabyte website? You can download the latest versions here: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Utility_List.aspx

The same goes for your drivers, I noticed that they have released a newer version of the Marvell Raid Utility on the 29/4/2010 so it might be worthwhile downloading these to see if it improves things. Here's the link: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3258&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

Getting your memory to run at the rated speed is another issue and you will need to manually set your timings, voltage etc., in BIOS using the MIT. You will also need to set the Memory Clock to x8 to get your 1600 mhz.  It is better to make these changes in BIOS rather than using Easytune as they are then applied when the system boots rather than having to wait for the OS to load.

Hope this helps

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:06:57 am »
I've done a reinstall and downloaded all the latest from the site
Seems to be running better, but i haven't bothered with AOD and Easy Tune yet
The Marvell utility seems to be working.

Bit annoying about the memory, is that a normal thing? I thought, given it was designed for black edition processors and all, that it would just run as it was spec'd.
I have a 750w power supply and ati 5970, but i'm assuming upping the voltage and timings etc on the memory isn't going to drain wads of power

Thanks for your help mate and feel free to pass on any other advice to me!

Hi,

Did you install the software from the CD that came with your Mobo or did you download the latest versions from the Gigabyte website? You can download the latest versions here: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Utility_List.aspx

The same goes for your drivers, I noticed that they have released a newer version of the Marvell Raid Utility on the 29/4/2010 so it might be worthwhile downloading these to see if it improves things. Here's the link: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3258&ost=windows+7+64bit#anchor_os

Getting your memory to run at the rated speed is another issue and you will need to manually set your timings, voltage etc., in BIOS using the MIT. You will also need to set the Memory Clock to x8 to get your 1600 mhz.  It is better to make these changes in BIOS rather than using Easytune as they are then applied when the system boots rather than having to wait for the OS to load.

Hope this helps

ATB

autotech

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:51:46 pm »
That is normal for ram. Have to set the timings manually on any am3 processor.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA