Official GIGABYTE Forum

BSOD replacing GA-MA790XT-UD4P/X2 550BE with GA-790FXTA-UD5/X4 965BE

bofh1971

Hi Guys

Finally got my cpu to put on my wonderful 790FXTA prize, bought the AM3 PhenomII X4 965BE

using all my other existing components
Asus ENGTX275 vga
Kingston Hyper-X 1600 DDR3
2x WD 750GB Green drives sata Raid 0
Samsung DVDRW sata drive
OCZ Stealth 700w PSU
Edimax USB .n wireless
USB Keyboard (Saitek)
USB Mouse (Razer Salmosa)
Xbox360 USB Wired Controller
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  (no re-install done.....yet :) )

the system seemed fine on latest nvidia driver for about 3 hours, testing and gaming, then all of a sudden the display started glitching resulting in a BSOD blaming the graphics driver.
upon rebooting the graphics driver repeatedly failed

uninstalled the nvidia driver (197.45) in safe mode, windows installed its own driver upon reboot and seemed stable so I went ahead and installed 191.07 driver from Nvidia (my previous one used on the old build)

again the system seemed to work fine for a couple of hours gameplay but the started to Glitch with the eventual BSOD.

I am going to try and update the audio driver too since I am still using the one supplied on the CD with the motherboard.

The bios is F2 as supplied with the board, don't want to update to a beta bios if I dont have to, as I dont have a 6 core cpu.

If anyone knows of a fix for this I would be grateful, otherwise I will be spending a lot of time torubleshooting :(

Cheers

p.s. I dont think its a heat issue , since the BSOD's occur even if it has cooled before booting again.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:30:20 am by bofh1971 »
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (forum prize)
Phenom IIx4 965BE, 8GB Corsair 1333 Ram
2x750gb HDD's Raid0, Palit Geforce GTX570
Windows 7 Ultimate, Acer 24" P256H Monitor, Razer Salmosa Mouse,
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keybaord

bofh1971

sorry for the Double Post, but editing stops being available?

anyhoo

I think I have fixed it, indeed updating the audio driver appears to have had an effect, so now running the latest realtek HD audio driver and latest Nvidia driver

Ran Prime95 64bit for 30mins, and cpu seems fine
ran a memtest which passed

odd thing though , when the system was having its hissy fit before I replaced the audio drivers, it actually beeped a bios error
1 long beep then 1 short beep which I understand means bad memory.

Been testing the system for about 5 hours now and it seems fine, strange though that the sound doesnt automatically switch over when I plug headphones in.

anyway emergency averted, even though I already ordered some corsair 1333 ram just in case, but that can go on a build :)

cheers guys oh and the motherboard is awesome so thankyou again to Gigabyte and Runn3r
Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 (forum prize)
Phenom IIx4 965BE, 8GB Corsair 1333 Ram
2x750gb HDD's Raid0, Palit Geforce GTX570
Windows 7 Ultimate, Acer 24" P256H Monitor, Razer Salmosa Mouse,
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keybaord