Official GIGABYTE Forum

GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 getting all audio out S/PIF header Ubuntu 10.04

Hello

Just purchased a GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 and did a DIY Coxial S/PIF out using the header pins on the mobo

OS is Ubuntu 10.04

Looking to get information if it iis possible to get all audio out that output and if so what should I read or be looking at

Currently I have 5.1 sound coming out the S/PIF with media that actual has 5.1

My last mobo would also put out 2.0 from the S/PIF and that is what I am hoping to get with this one

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2 getting all audio out S/PIF header Ubuntu 10.04
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:24:59 am »
Hi,

don't know the answer but the obvious thing to do is try playing a stereo source.

If you get stereo sound it works, if it doesn't then you have a problem as the S/PDIF should play all signal sources it receives.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:26:36 pm »
Thanks

The problem is that stereo sounds are not coming through

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
Hi,

not sure about running Audio in Ubuntu but the motherboard uses the Realtek 888B soundchip and according to the specifications found here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=135 it says "Support for 16/20/24-bit S/PDIF input and output offers easy connection of PCs to high-quality consumer electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers." This would indicate that it should output in stereo as well as 5.1 surround sound.

I wonder if the problem is software based rather than hardware. I know that you have said you made your own coax cable and you are getting 5.1 sound so I would feel the cable is OK.

I am not familiar enough with Ubuntu to offer any practical advice other than to check the software that you are using for playback is OK and that you have the correct codecs installed.

Have you tried the Ubuntu forum as someone there might have first hand experience of this issue and be able to offer better help?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »
thanks for the reply

I do have a thread on the Ubuntu forums and it was mentioned to read up on this doc

http://alsa.opensrc.org/DigitalOut

Will update both threads if I find the fix.

just to confirm the header that was DIYed is ok I have full confidence in it :)  Being that this function is software based enabled when using windows I will agree with your comments.