Official GIGABYTE Forum

MA78GM-S2H will not load OS when AHCI or SATA activated

MA78GM-S2H will not load OS when AHCI or SATA activated
« on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:36 pm »
System Summary
Mainboard : Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H (Rev 1.0)
BIOS Version: F4 4/29/2009
Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @ 2600 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (1 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB) SATA
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L ATA Device
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
PSU: 480W

When I set OnChip SATA Type to Native IDE, everything runs fine. OS loads and comp is fully functional. When I set it to AHCI or RAID the BIOS will post and the "Windows Starting" logo appears for about 5 seconds. Then the computer restarts and the loop repeats itself, thus the OS never loading.

I have tried using different ports (SATA0 & SATA2) for the HDD, but the issue still occurs

This happens for both Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows XP Pro 32bit. Both OS run fine on my laptop (2yr old VAIO) and the older desktop that this current build is intended to replace

I have downloaded and installed all required drivers from Gigabyte. I have not flashed the BIOS.

Any help would be appreciated..!!  ???

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: MA78GM-S2H will not load OS when AHCI or SATA activated
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 07:31:50 am »
Hi,

if you installed windows with the SATA set to IDE and then try changing it to AHCI or RAID Windows will not load. This is due to the fact that on install the Windows OS disables the AHCI mode and you need to alter the registry settings to then enable it.

You might want to check out this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,1629.msg7432.htm or do a search on the forum for other cases of the same problem.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: MA78GM-S2H will not load OS when AHCI or SATA activated
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 05:39:56 pm »
No problem, pleased to have been able to help!  ;D
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.