Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Random Freezes

Caliga

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Random Freezes
« on: May 15, 2011, 06:27:47 pm »
Hello,

Purchased this board from OCUK, about to send it back under RMA but wanted to make sure that it's not something I am doing before I do. I don't like wasting peoples time!

My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Intel i7 2600k
GA-P67A-UD3-B3
4 x G.Skill Ripjaw F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL - CL9-9-9-24 1.5v
HIS Radeon 6950
500GB Sata 6GB/S HDD

The problem - PC decides to freeze at random intervals, it can happen at the BIOS load, before I even manage to get a beep out of it, after the BIOS loads and gives a successful one beep. In the setup menu, loading windows, or even 10 minutes into me using the OS. In windows it just freezes completely, in bios it will often restart (but can freeze too). It's driving me nuts.

What I have tried:

I have tried different RAM to begin with, Corsair CMX4GX3M2A16009C. (Also I've only been using 1 stick at a time, and have tried different sticks of the same kind). Same issue.

I have updated the BIOS to F4, same problem although it seems to have increased the duration between the freezes slightly. That might just be luck though.

I have tried a different Graphics card, an old Winfast geForce, again same problem.

Changed the PSU to a friends 700w, same problem.

Changed the HDD to my OCZ 80GB RevoDrive.. same problem.

Even switched coolers and reseated everything multiple times. Had it all out of the case on a desk and tried it, as you can guess same problem again.

Am I missing something here? Is there something special that i should configure with this board, as I've only ever dealt with AMD equipment. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-P67A-UD3-B3 Random Freezes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Firstly have you checked the power cables. There should be the 24 pin and the 8 pin to the motherboard. There should also be the two connectors to the graphics card.

Have you made sure that the heatsink is seated firmly to the motherboard. This is a common problem with the stock cooler especially.

Try clearing the CMOS thoroughly by:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Caliga

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:42:21 pm »
I read all that in another post on here :) I have already tried it, but I understand you have to post that to weed out the simpler problems from the more complex ones!

I should also mention that I have not attempted to over clock any of my components (yet). I have read a few similar articles on here from people with similar issues but I couldn't find anything to resolve mine :(

Thanks again

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 06:49:20 pm »
Yes we need to eliminate things as we go along.

Well the next thing is to check the memory.

Please follow these instructions exactly.

I would suggest that you download and run the latest version of  Memtest86+ to check your RAM first.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 complete loops/cycles and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all  modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.

Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 04:39:48 am »
You might consider:
1. Uninstall the realtek audio drivers, and then disable onboard sound.  Run the pc like this for a while. 

2. Roll back the nvidia video driver to a 266.XX or the 266.66.

3. Manually set the video card/gpu fan speed to 80% or better to provide better cooling.

good luck.

Caliga

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:58:51 am »
I've run memtest, no issues with either kind of RAM that I have attempted to use. The Realtek Audio drivers aren't even installed, nor are any NVIDIA drivers as the P67, as far as I'm aware, has no onboard graphics. I have also tried two different graphics cards.

This is not an issue with drivers, I'm pretty certain as this can happen even when on the BIOS setup screen. I have tried tinkering with various settings in the BIOS too, resetting them to safe default and optimised defaults.

In short I have performed all the "usual suspects" tests.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:00:58 pm »
No you are correct the P67 range of boards doesn't have the graphics capability of the H67 boards.

It is possible that the pins on the CPU socket are bent somewhere and might be worth investigating.

Take all the usual anti-static precautions.

Very carefully remove the heatsink and fan. Probably a slight twisting motion is best to release the two as the thermal paste can act like a glue.

Once off remove the CPU taking extreme care both physically and electrically(static) and place somewhere safe.

Make sure that the lighting is very good and even.

Now scrutinise the socket for any pins that are out of alignment, even slightly.
If in any doubt whatsoever take a couple of macro (close up) photos of the socket and post them on here for us to check.

Also look at the bottom of the CPU at the lands (little copper circles) and make sure that there is a mark in each somewhere near the centre.
If there are any missing marks or any of the pins are obviously bent then that is your problem.

Before refitting the CPU clean off all residue of the old thermal paste and the same on the heatsink and then apply a small amount (about the size of a grain of rice) to the centre of the CPU once it is inserted in the socket.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB