Official GIGABYTE Forum

Problems installing Win 7 64bit on a 890GPA-UD3H Rev 1.0

Problems installing Win 7 64bit on a 890GPA-UD3H Rev 1.0
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:14:37 am »
I just recently upgraded the Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H motherboard about 2 days ago. Ever since the upgrade I have been unable to successfully install Windows 7 64bit. The installation is always freezing, pretty much at the expanding files stage.

I have checked the ram with Memtest and both sticks are good that I have. I let it run for 2-3hrs per stick of ram. I have also tried installing with one stick vs 2, and have tried every slot on the MB too. I have also tried two different HD's, one that was used when I had my old motherboard just over a few days ago installed, and one that I had just purchased. Both of these drives are 1TB each, 1.5Gbps. I have tried installing with each one separately and while each have been running and hooked up at the same time. Still no luck. The one drive I know works 100% for sure cause I just installed it in a spare computer and it runs fine.

I have also tried removing the video card and just installing off of the onboard video, and it still freezes. I have also replaced the dvd-rom drive with another known working drive and that still did not work.

All of these parts were working before this install of this new motherboard, and now I can't even get windows to install. The windows CD I know works cause I used it when I built the computer build I had before this.

I am rather confused by this problem, and have tested everything I know to test, I have also disabled and re-enabled settings in the bios which did not help either(Any recommendations of setting to adjust, would be great too). Its now back at default setting for everything. I am really thinking my motherboard might be bad. By the way I can't get any version of windows to install, xp, vista, or 7.

Again any help would be appreciated

Below is whats in my computer...

AMD X4 965
XFX Radeon 5870
4GB of Mushkin DDR3
2 TB of HD's
850watt PSU
Case- Cooler Master HAF 932

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Problems installing Win 7 64bit on a 890GPA-UD3H Rev 1.0
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:15:57 am »
Hi,

You don't say how you are trying to install the OS or the make & model numbers of your HDD's or DVD/CD drive. These could have a bearing on the issue you are facing.

If you are trying to do just a plain old install and are not trying to set-up a RAID array, I would suggest trying the following:
Connect your DVD/CD drive to one of the GSATA ports
Connect only one of your Hard-drives to one of the SATA3 ports

Disable the On-board Graphics

In BIOS under Integrated Peripherals, check that your SATA Controller is enabled and that the SATA type is set to Native IDE
Do the same for the OnBoard SATA/IDE controller and mode.

Under Advanced BIOS Features:
Set INIT Display First to PEG
Disable HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability
Disable Full Screen LOGO Show
Press F10 and save settings to BIOS then retry installing your OS.

A couple of things to think about
If you are trying to install onto a "Green" HDD there can sometimes be issues when installing the OS.
If you are using a copy of Windows that you have downloaded or burnt as a back-up copy there can sometimes be issues during install. Try to use an original disc, if possible rather than a back-up copy.
When Windows 7 gets to the unpacking files stage it can appear to hang and can take quite a while before it moves to the next stage. I have noticed this on different builds I have done and the length of time it takes seems to be dependant on the size Hard-drive it is installing to and can be anything from 5 - 25 minutes. I'm not sure but I think it might be formatting the HDD at the same time, hence the appearance of the install hanging.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:00:39 am »
If you are using a copy of Windows that you have downloaded or burnt as a back-up copy there can sometimes be issues during install. Try to use an original disc, if possible rather than a back-up copy.
Very diplomatic absic115 but true.
I would agree about the time it can take to check the drive etc. Sometimes it does seem to have stopped doing anything and then just starts back up. The only other thing is unlikely because you have a good power supply but the symptoms you are experiencing are the same as a faulty PSU.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
Sorry for leaving out that information.  I am using an actual windows 7 ultimate 64bit CD. I only actually have one HD in the computer and its a Seagate 1TB 32mb cache 3.0 gb / s. I unfortunately don't know the make and model of the DVD drive and can't look right now till I get home from work at 6pm
EST. I do believe its a 24x HP DVD burner though. I will try the things you told me when I get home and give ya all an update.  I appreciate your help. :-)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:12 pm »
Forgot to say it actually seems like it locks up at expanding files... cause u are unable to move the mouse and the dots next to the % stop moving.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »
If it actually locks up and is unresposive could mean that it is trying to decompress/read the files from the DVD drive. If it cant read the drive for some reason it will just sit there looking like it is doing nothing. Check the state of your Windows disk.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »
Just remembered another thing to do in BIOS. (Reading what Dark Mantis said reminded me)

Disable the Floppy drive, as this can also cause Windows 7 to hang at install. It has been an issue on both AMD and Intel Platforms when it comes to installing the OS.

(Should have had my coffee before posting this morning!)  ::)
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.