Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3: Problem with formating my PC

Axel77

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3: Problem with formating my PC
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:10:12 pm »
Im sorry if these is the wrong systemcomponents forum to ask in but i have really no idea.

Hey, i just bought a new PC about a week ago and everything has been working flawless until now, heres my problem: So i left the computer on to finish downloading the Windows 7 Ultimate language pack update while i was getting my new microsoft sidewinder x4 and a schyte case fan. When i returned home it had finished so i turned of the computer so i could install the case fan and the fancontroller which i forgot to install in the first place. Everything went find until i booted, i thought it took a little bit to long when i got to the Windows 7 logo so i rebooted it with the front power switch button.

Then that "Start windows normally" thingy came up and above it said Startup Repair (Recommended) so i was like sure w/e. After it had scanned everything i pressed the advanced diagnostic thing and it said it found a rootkit but i didn't think they could remove it because upon reboot the same thing happened but this time i waited a little longer so i got to the part where it was supposed to say Welcome but it instead it said something about Windows Changes 35% blabla. After a minute it had failed and instead it said Failure: Reverting changes.... And it turned it self off. After many turnon attempts later i succed to get to the desktop (woho) and the first thing i did was to start AvG computer scanner, Spybot S&D and Unhackme which some computer security institute said was a good program so i trusted them. (Plus that i googled it and saw it on cnet, i trust cnet) AvG and Spybot finished without finding something but unhack me found a tons of thing that i all removed.

I were just going to make sure that the computer worked as it should so i tried rebooting it but no. After many reboot attempts later i gave up and figured formating is my only way out of this. So i put Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit into the DvD, rebooted, choosed boot from dvd and let it install. Everything went fine until it was "Completing Installation" where i got this error message: Windows could not configure one or more system components, please try again. Or something like that. And now no matter what i do, boot from DvD, boot from harddrive, boot without windows cd inside, boot with etc. But i always get the same, first it says: Setup is Starting services. And then i get the error message the computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.

Please i need help!

My computer specs: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 | AMD Phenom2 X4 945 3,0GHz | XFX Radeon HD5770 1GB | A-Data DDR3 4GB (2GBx2) 1600MHz | Fractal Design Define R2 | 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ | Fractal Design Tesla 550W | Samsung 22X DL SH-S223C | Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Edit: I might have shorted down the story a bit because first i tried to format the harddrive only but when i got to the point where i right clicked on the C:/ it was the opposite of highlighted or something like that. Also at first i didn't know how to format so i tried to format while my PC were still running and i hadn't picked boot from dvd, instead i just doubleclicked setup and i later realised my mistake so i force rebooted it. If that may have hurt it.

Sorry for sloppy writing, i hope you understand.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3: Problem with formating my PC
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
Hi,

Don't you just hate it when something like this happens?  >:(

The simplest thing to try is a fresh install of windows without getting to bogged down.

BOOT up and go through the initial stages of Installing Windows 7 from the DVD
It should load files and when it asks you what you want to do you need to do a Custom Install
A screen will come up showing you your hard drive, Highlight the Drive then delete the partition. Do the same for the smaller partition (about 100 mb) which is System Reserved. Ignore all warnings. You will then have just one option available which is to create a new partition, don't change any of the figures just click yes. Once you have done this your Hard Drive will be clean and you should be able to install Windows without a problem.

Unless you want to use a specific language for your on screen Windows menus and interfaces, you don't need to download or install any language packs. If however, you want to run your PC and have the Windows menus etc., in Dutch, German, Japanese then you should only download the language pack that you need. When it has downloaded and installed, you will need to reboot the PC.

When the PC reboots you will get a message about reconfiguring windows or configuring windows updates, this is normal as it is integrating the Language Pack into the system so don't worry.

Some things to consider regarding Anti Virus and other spyware programmes. It is not a good idea to have these running when you are installing programmes as they can throw up false positives and corrupt the install. I have built a lot of PC's and, I don't install these programmes until after I have installed the OS, installed the drivers that are needed, downloaded all the updates and am happy that the system is running fine. Whenever I install a new programme that I know is OK because I brought it or have used it before, I make sure that I disable the Antivirus before I begin the install.

Hope this helps
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:57:09 am »
I absolutely agree with absic and his procedure to deal with the problem is 100%. The only thing i would add is to double check where you fitted the extra hardware if you still have any problems although I am sure it is totally unrelated.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Axel77

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:19:28 am »
Hi,

Don't you just hate it when something like this happens?  >:(

The simplest thing to try is a fresh install of windows without getting to bogged down.

BOOT up and go through the initial stages of Installing Windows 7 from the DVD
It should load files and when it asks you what you want to do you need to do a Custom Install
A screen will come up showing you your hard drive, Highlight the Drive then delete the partition. Do the same for the smaller partition (about 100 mb) which is System Reserved. Ignore all warnings. You will then have just one option available which is to create a new partition, don't change any of the figures just click yes. Once you have done this your Hard Drive will be clean and you should be able to install Windows without a problem.

Unless you want to use a specific language for your on screen Windows menus and interfaces, you don't need to download or install any language packs. If however, you want to run your PC and have the Windows menus etc., in Dutch, German, Japanese then you should only download the language pack that you need. When it has downloaded and installed, you will need to reboot the PC.

When the PC reboots you will get a message about reconfiguring windows or configuring windows updates, this is normal as it is integrating the Language Pack into the system so don't worry.

Some things to consider regarding Anti Virus and other spyware programmes. It is not a good idea to have these running when you are installing programmes as they can throw up false positives and corrupt the install. I have built a lot of PC's and, I don't install these programmes until after I have installed the OS, installed the drivers that are needed, downloaded all the updates and am happy that the system is running fine. Whenever I install a new programme that I know is OK because I brought it or have used it before, I make sure that I disable the Antivirus before I begin the install.

Hope this helps

Thanks for you're answer but the thing is i can't get to install Windows 7. As i wrote earlier it doesn't matter how i boot the computer (from the harddrive, from the DvD, with our without DvD inside) I always get to Setup is starting services and then the error message.

Will buying a new harddrive fix this problem? Can a virus damage any of the systemcomponents?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 09:25:57 am »
Clear the CMOS first and then load the BIOS default settings followed by F10 to save and exit. Then reboot and press "end" to choose which drive to boot from - the DVD and then you should be able to do the install.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 11:23:12 am »
Hi,

although a virus could possibly damage hardware I really don't think that is what has happened here. From what you have said I think it is a problem with the OS and the issues you encountered and tried to remedy when installing the language pack. Running all of the Antivirus & othe Spyware programmes has screwed up the OS completely and, once you can install the OS again everything should be fine.

Yes, buying a new hard drive would I believe solve the problem but, if you have access to another PC it would be a good idea to put your HDD into that and do a reformat so that the disk is clean, then you should have no problems re-installing the OS onto it.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:09:54 pm »

Also, test your memory is working correctly with the motherboard....       I have experienced problems were the board and memory were fine and then suddenly they weren't.

www.memtest.org - it can generate a bootable USB stick.    Let it run for at least two passes which take can an hour on 4GB.

I spent a week trying to figure out a Windows 7 installation issue which turned out to be a MB/RAM problem.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:11:00 pm by IceColdBeer »