Official GIGABYTE Forum

890FXA-UD5 Digital Optical Port Not working

890FXA-UD5 Digital Optical Port Not working
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:12:15 pm »
This problem is driving me nuts!

The above board has both Coax and Optical Digital Out on the Rear Panel. When I switch the Optical out device to Default, the Playback mixer indicates that sound is being played but I get nothing on my Digital amp. The coax port works just fine. On checking the Optical device properties the output is wired to "Internal ATAPI device" which is obviously wrong - it should be "Back Panel port"or similar sounding name. This is obviously causing the issue but I cannot find any way of mapping the port correctly in the Reaaltek HD Manager.

Gigabyte don't seem interested in helping.....anyone got any ideas or experience of this issue?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: 890FXA-UD5 Digital Optical Port Not working
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 02:29:47 pm »
Hi

You say Gigabyte don't want to help. Have you tried asking GGTS for assistance ?

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/Default.aspx

Have you checked that your optical cable is working ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »
Hi

You say Gigabyte don't want to help. Have you tried asking GGTS for assistance ?

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/Default.aspx

Have you checked that your optical cable is working ?

I logged a ticket with them 2 days ago and I have not even received a receipt reply. The optical cable is working fine with another component so thats not the issue.

I found that Realtek have a much newer HD Audio Driver on their download site (the one on the Gigabyte site is at least 4 revisions out). I ried the latest driver from Realtek and still the same issue. There must be a way of remapping these digital ports????
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:10:46 pm by fixit4me »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »
Hi there,
I'm running the GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 2.1 with the  F6 BIOS. I don't usually run the On-Board Realtek Sound chip but have enabled it and loaded the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website to see if I can help.

Sorry to report that on my board the Optical Out is working fine and I couldn't duplicate your problem.

However, the output signal from the Realtek Optical connection seemed quite low and I had to boost the input on my studios Minidisc Deck, that I was passing the signal through, quite a lot (over +12 Db) before I could hear it properly. This was with both Windows and Realtek's Mixer Outputs set to maximum.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:08 pm »
Hey, thanks for replying!

What is your Optical Input device mapped to - i'll bet its the Internal ATAPI port that my Optical Output port is locked with?

Another example of shoddy driver release without proper field testing with current OS's!

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:25:13 am »
Hey, thanks for replying!

What is your Optical Input device mapped to - i'll bet its the Internal ATAPI port that my Optical Output port is locked with?

Another example of shoddy driver release without proper field testing with current OS's!

OK, I'll admit it, I'm not sure how to find out where it is being mapped.  :-[
Can you point me in the right direction so I can check for you?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:44 pm »
Get the sound devices screen up either from the Control Panel or Right clicking the Sound Icon on the devices menu. Select the Properties for the relevant sound device and the first page will have the "Jack Information" settings.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »
That info is shown in the pictures I posted. All it says is: Rear Panel Combo Jack. I was looking for something more complicated!