Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GA-UD3H - unlock cores on Phenom II 555 BE

b_force

Re: GA-880GA-UD3H - unlock cores on Phenom II 555 BE
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2010, 06:06:11 pm »
Not looking for a day and it's full of replies  ??? :-\ :D

Sending response to Gigabyte is always a good thing.
But I'm losing my patient about the standard "for the noob" messages, they always send.
Always finding a way out and not admitting.

Off course there is no really difference for the BE cores, that's really b*ll sh*t.
You know it, I know it and they certainly know it!!

Maybe you just can reply with a question back why MSI does know the trick (on al relative "old", "simple" and cheap board) and Gigabyte struggle with it?

I'm studying physics, not computer science, but I think it wouldn't hard for a well graduated CS to find a solution?
I really don't get it, but it smells like priorities and money  ;)

I also have more and more doubts about the unlocked 555 BE system they showed me.
Besides, that absolutely doesn't match with the reply to proxy.

One says that the X2 555BE isn't really validated, the other is showing a working system????? ???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:07:02 pm by b_force »
There are few laws more precise than those of perfect molecular chaos

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:50 pm »
You are really not supposed to use common sense and logic with them! It really confuses them ::)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

proxy

• Nuts.
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »
What annoys me is the BE is not supported line they're taking, when the 955 is on that list.  So we're to believe the 955 isn't BE, when all they make is BE 955s?

I've been holding off on responding, there's no need to be snappy or snarky with someone trying his or her best (hopefully) to do his or her job within the abilities.  I've been very very busy with work, and I have 4 RMAs currently open with Hitachi, Corsair, OCZ, and EagleTech, so I'll follow up with Gigabyte Support on the weekend.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:58:39 pm by proxy »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »
You do wonder though if they even understand the question in the first place to give an answer like that. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence ::)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

j5

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:01 am »
Greetings gents (and ladies, if present)
Just checking in to report a similar problem as the OP. Twice now I have paired an 880GMA-UD2H and 555BE with the same results. The BIOS only shows 2 cores whether in auto or manual mode. One attempt was with F4 the other with F5.
My ticket to GB was replied with:
Quote from: Gigabyte
Dear Customer
Those are overclocking feature and we are unable to guarantee any results off from overclocking when trying to enable the other cores

I will watch this thread with much interest.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2010, 12:06:36 pm »
Quote from: Gigabyte
Dear Customer
Those are overclocking feature and we are unable to guarantee any results off from overclocking when trying to enable the other cores
This is one of those annoying replies and the usual "get out of jail" card employed by Mobo and other hardware manufacturer's. They sell their products on the promise of Overclockability & Tweaking and then say that they don't support it. The reality is, that other motherboard maker's have written the BIOS code to allow these cores to be unlocked and Gigabyte haven't.

When I ask AMD about core unlocking they said "We know it goes on but we don't condone or support it. However, the cores can be unlocked if the BIOS allows it. If you do unlock cores on a processor that has had them unlocked you void the warranty and we will not replace the processor if it fails." So, AMD have made their stance pretty clear on this. Unlock the cores at your own risk.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

b_force

« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2010, 12:24:41 pm »
That they "don't support" the 555 BE is not the point.

The point is that they make statements on the website that are misleading.
Or you can better say, very doubtful.

Especially considering the replies to me from the tech. staff.
As a matter of fact, the argument/text that the 555 is official support and the 555 BE not because it may be a different processor isn't really valid (not a hard evidence).

I also think that "unlocking is at your own risk" is very doubtful because it has absolutely nothing to do with the two working (official supported) cores.
(technically and physical(ly))

I think it's a bad thing that Gigabyte is hiding behind an argument that covers the point if there is a change to unlock cores and a change to run a computer stable with it (which is understandable) That has nothing to do with this problems.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:25:57 pm by b_force »
There are few laws more precise than those of perfect molecular chaos

proxy

• Nuts.
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:08 pm »
Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed myself, but I'm not that upset yet.  I still believe that Gigabyte is working on the issue and will release a BIOS in short order; at least I hope so.  I've tried the newest F6 BIOS for the GA-880GA-UD3H, but that didn't affect this issue.

Here's the latest message I sent to Gigabyte Support.  I sincerely hope it doesn't sound too aggressive, as I'm not really trying to be confrontational or critical with them:

Hello Gigabyte Support Team,

I apologize for the delay between my questions, I'm sure you can all appreciate sudden work volume increases putting constraints on time.  Please understand that I do not bear any ill will towards the support department or anyone at Gigabyte.  Typed text can lack subtley and nuance, which may otherwise make it seem what it is not, and though the tone of my message may seem harsh, I assure you that I am merely stating the situation in a firm manner, and the following is not meant to berate.

I understand what you are stating regarding not being able to unlock a 555 BE.  The answer that it is not supported, and that I have no recourse but to use a 'supported CPU' though is unacceptable.

Gigabyte does not on their supported list anywhere ever state that there is a difference between support for the 'regular' version of a CPU and a Black Edition.  From the mere fact that the AMD x4 955 is on the same list, in fact 3 different steppings are listed, shows that Gigabyte is not distinguishing between Black Edition and non-Black Edition CPUs on said list.  As you well know the x4 955 only comes in the Black Edition, that is to say that AMD only makes Black Edition x4 955 processors.  By not distinguishing Black Edition CPUs, and having never stated a difference between Black Edition processors anywhere on any compatibility list Gigabyte has clearly implicated to their consumers that there should be no distinction.

Gigabyte has made claims for the features of this particular product, the GA-880GA-UD3H.  Based on these claims this product was purchased.  Upon purchase said product does not meet the claims that were made.  This situation is a case of false and ambiguous information being dissemianted to consumers, through what I can only hope is an oversight, and which has furthermore directly affected buying decisions and led to a purchases of this product that would otherwise have not occured.

Your competitors in Asus and MSI to name a few, have worked very industriously to provide the Core Unlock feature to their consumers on the 8xx chipsets.  They have similar compatibility lists to Gigabyte's, and they do not make any distinction between Black Edition and non-Black Edition processors on their supported CPU lists...the exact same as Gigabyte.  The only difference here is that they provide what they claim, the ability to unlock cores on the AMD x2 555, Black Edition or otherwise.

I have used Gigabyte boards in 3 of the 4 systems I have build this year (albeit those were all Intel systems), and I earnestly love the motherboards you create.  I can understand and accept that there is an oversight with x2 555 CPU cores being recognized on the motherboard in question.  What I actually find upsetting and disappointing in this situation is the responses I have received to date that appear to be more concerned with avoiding any responsibility or effort, instead of what a support department's goal should be, and that is assisting the consumer.  I will not accept that nothing will be done about this, and that Gigabyte will not rectify this oversight in the near future.

I can only assume that the last communication I received on this support issue/ticket was merely informative, and that Gigabyte is working astudiously to update the BIOS on the GA-880GA-UD3H to support the Core Unlock feature with AMD x2 555 BE processors.  I fervently hope that your next response will be confirmation of the aforementioned assumption.

Kind Regards,
Richard

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »
Nothing wrong with that Richard.

I just wonder how it will translate into Taiwanese and back again! :P
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

proxy

• Nuts.
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2010, 01:40:07 pm »
Damn forgot they were Taiwanese!  Should have made it less wordy and run it through Google Translate and back first  :D

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2010, 01:53:28 pm »
Their answer should translate nicely I would think. Considering some of the answers  we see to straightforward questions I can't wait to see what they make of this one :o
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

proxy

• Nuts.
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2010, 08:29:53 pm »
Looks like it didn't matter, I don't think they even bothered to read the full message.  Here's their latest response, if it seems familiar it's because they copied and pasted from their last response and changed one line.

Dear customer,
If current bios on board is F5, you can try update to latest F6 and test cpu again, but we are not guaranty F6 will work with the 555BE processor. Like we have mention before, due to massive type of processors were released from AMD, we need to validate processors which can be supported on mother board and post the list on web. Since 555BE was not on the list which could be not passed the validation or core not able to unlock. Please refer to our cpu support list to choose cpu work with mother board, we are sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

Didn't bother to answer any of my questions.  I think I'm beginning to become upset.  Here's my latest response, although at this point I think I might be talking to a bot, or some similar biological automaton construct.

I tried the F6 BIOS already, it didn't help, the same problem persists.

Please answer my questions from the previous messages.

1.  Why is the x4 955 which is listed on the supported list without any notation as being black edition when it clearly is a black edition only CPU?  Why has Gigabyte not clearly made it known what black edition and non-black edition processors are compatible?

2.  Is Gigabyte working towards compatibility?  Can I expect an upcoming BIOS release that will resolve this issue?

3. If a solution is not forthcoming, what recompense will Gigabyte make for the false and ambiguous information regarding supported processors and the GA-880GA-UD3H Core Unlock feature which clearly does not work as stated on the Gigabyte website?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:38:17 pm by proxy »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2010, 09:01:18 pm »
As I said to you before you have to have a direct and straightforward approach. Your new question is much, much better. A list approach is more likely to get answers.

Hey I was shocked by the avatar....I thought VenGanZa was back :o
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

proxy

• Nuts.
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:29 pm »
Seems my direct approach wasn't much better, they still refuse to acknowledge that they have Black Edition processors on the list that are not marked as such, or to answer why they don't clearly state this.  Their final word seems to be if you don't like it too bad:

Dear customer,
Like we have mention, not all processor are using the same vcore and boot stepping, We need to validate each processor on mother board before post the cpu support list on web, which processor was not listed, it could be not passed the validation or vcore/stepping is not compatible with mother board. Please refer web posted cpu support list to choose cpu work with mother board, we are not able to make a special bios for particular case only.
Please note that, we have not said all processors can be unlock on this board, and we do provided posted cpu support list on web for customer.
Customer can contact vendor if not satisfying with current mother board. every vendor has 30 days return or exchange policy.
we are sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Gigabyte technical support team.

I think I got someone riled up finally  :o.  I've dealt with a lot of support departments in a lot of companies, and this is the first time I've had a response like that.  You usually the runaround on tier 1 for Dell, HP etc. before tier 2 and someone who understands and can answer more technical questions.  The case with Gigabyte here is just willful refusal to answer questions, topped off with a 'screw you jerkstore'.  I got this motherboard on sale, so I can only return it with a doubled re-stocking fee, 30% (15*2) and for store credit, not an ideal situation, especially since the user is using it already. :P

I don't know who this VenGanZa is, I'm just a fan of the original penguin ::).

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »
Not particularly customer friendly eh? Luckilly you didn't talk to the Complaints Department :o :o

VenGanZa is a member from Australia but we haven't seen him for some time but he had a Linux Penguin as his avatar too. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB