Official GIGABYTE Forum

Cannot set AHCI mode

Cannot set AHCI mode
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:42:04 pm »
Hi guys this is my first post here.

I have also run into memory issues with this board.
I`m runing TR3X6G1600C9 - 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair XMS3 and i7 920.
The installation of Win7 x64 went smoothly on default speed of 1066. I haven`t OC`ed and I`m not planning to.
Then I`ve tried to fiddle in BIOS and changed sata controller mode to AHCI and selected XMP profile1
To run the memory on it`s nominal speed (1600). Since then I was unable load windows unless I revert everything back to "optimised default" in BIOS.
I even flashed to the latest BIOS successfully (F5) but still no success on booting with the XMP profile so I reverted everything back to it`s normal working state  ("load optimised default") and I still have four DDR Voltage LEDs light up (green-yellow-green-yellow) before windows loads (i.e. When in BIOS) but these leds go out as soon as it gets to the stage to load the OS.
Also one short beep is audible at every boot. I have read it`s the sign of a normal boot, but if I remember correctly I didn`t have this before I attempted to load the XMP, neither the LEDs.
Most annoyingly I can`t use controller mode in AHCI any more or else it crashes on boot so I have to use IDE mode as I dont want to set up RAID at this time.

When I`ve tried to run the Intel SATA RAID Driver setup file (iata_cd.exe) i`ve got the following error message:
"this computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing the software"

Any idea how to get rid of the LEDs and the beep?
I`m not really bothered about the memory speed, I can live with 1066 if it makes the CPU happy, but I need that AHCI mode for the HDD`s.
Im thinking of uninstalling all mobo-chipset drivers (any suggestion how to?) then format c: and start it all over again.

10X

skiigor

Re: Cannot set AHCI mode
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 06:16:43 pm »
You must set the SATA controller mode to AHCI or RAID prior to install the Windows or reinstall it after change controller mode.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:18:57 pm by skiigor »

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:34:00 am »
I enabled AHCI on win 7 64 bit after installing it on IDE. You just have to turn on ahci drivers before enabling it. Here is how:
http://www.ithinkdiff.com/how-to-enable-ahci-in-windows-7-rc-after-installation/

jkgb

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:16 pm »
The very simple registry hack given above by UnfleshedOne didn't work for me unfortunately - Windows 7 Professional 64  bit still wouldn't load. However with the hack still in place I set mu unused Chanell 6 and 7 controller to AHCI (no drives on them) and rebooted OK, then, when I altered the ICH 10 controller (on which I have 2 SSDs and an optical drive) from IDE to AHCI Windows started, loaded the drivers, called for a reboot which went OK and all is working fine. :)

2 x Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controllers now appear in IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers. My 2 x Intel 80GB SSDs still show the same Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 drivers as before. Not sure if this is good news or not.

Should say I have a GA-X58A-UD3R v2.0 motherboard with FA BIOS i7 960 processor.

Hope this helps someone.

jkgb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
Welcome to the forum jkgb and thanks for your information. I am sure that someone will benefit from it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB