Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA78GM-S2H northbridge overheating, will gigabyte replace the heatsink?

Hi, I have the GA-MA78GM-S2H and it simply poweroffs when playing games - no bluescreen, nothing in the event log. The severity seems dependent on the game and lately trying to play Arkham Asylum has been murder. I've read around some sites and there's been plenty of people complaining about the inadequate Rev 1.0 heatsink on the northbridge. With Rev 1.1 (and later 2.0) it seems all gigabyte did was put on a larger heatsink on the northbridge.

I was thinking of RMA'ing the whole board but rather than having to ship the whole thing to them and waiting however long for it the be sent back is it possible for gigabyte to just send me a new replacement heatsink? Maybe the one found on the rev. 1.1 board?

(I've also checked all the other components and the temps coming off the heatsink are enough to boil water, i'm pretty sure that's the problem).

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

Normally I would suggest you send a PM to runn3R the forum moderator but he's on holiday at the moment and won't be back for a while.

I would suggest that you send an e-mail to returns@gbt-tech.co.uk explaining the problem and ask them if they can help you out.

ATB
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
While you're waiting and to prove the point why don't you try setting up a fan to blow directly onto the Northbridge. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Thanks, I'll see if that helps. I also live in Canada, so I hope returns@gbt-tech.co.uk will still respond. The north american site doesn't have any emails listed, you can only open a support ticket.

It's kinda hard finding heatsinks for this motherboard since it uses rectangular-shaped ones instead of the more common square ones I see in stores.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
If you contact Tech Support UK they might be able to give you an e-mail address for Canada if they can't help you directly.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.