Official GIGABYTE Forum

BSOD and BIOS Update Issues

BSOD and BIOS Update Issues
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:09:47 am »
Hey everyone,

I've been working with the people on the Windows 7 forum for a while trying to figure out a BSOD problem. 

The short of it is: "Your RAM seems to be for Intel i5/i7 P55 motherboards.
There are known issues with these not working on AMD motherboards. " 

They suggested that one thing I do to improve stability is update my BIOS from F1 to F10. 

Using the directions posted here http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html, I followed the directions to the step where it had me insert the USB, reboot, then hit ESC to enter Q-Flash.  It would get to one of the boot up screens where it lists a bunch of information and just stayed there doing nothing (a screen which usually lasts 5 seconds).  So I tried booting with the USB plugged in without booting Q Flash and it booted to windows no problem, no getting stuck.  So then I tried opening Q Flash without the USB and it just boot looped.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: BSOD and BIOS Update Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:03:51 am »
Hi there,
before we get into the problem of flashing BIOS perhaps you could post back with a bit more info such as, your Mobo Number and revision and your RAM make and Model number. BSOD's can be cause by many things from insufficient Power to a dodgy keyboard or mouse. The more info you can give the easier it will be to offer practical advice.

I followed the directions to the step where it had me insert the USB, reboot, then hit ESC to enter Q-Flash.
You should be pressing the "END" key not "ESC" to enter QFlash. If you are still having problems go into BIOS and at the home screen try pressing the F8 key this should also take you into the QFlash Utility.

I would not recommend jumping your BIOS from F1 to F10 in one go but would suggest you do it in several smaller steps.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.