Official GIGABYTE Forum

Please help relocate Win 7 "System Restore" file location

irishbug

Please help relocate Win 7 "System Restore" file location
« on: September 04, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
Hey guys, Happy Labor day for those celebrating it! In an effort to save precious hard drive space on my Crucial C300 SSD, I am considering moving the system restore image file that is saved by Windows 7. I am running a RAID 0 setup 1.2GB in size, and I think I would like to see if I can manage to relocate that image file that Windows creates over to there. I realize that if my RAID goes, I'll lose both drives and everything on it, but I'm willing to take that risk. That's not to say that I won't configure some sort of daily backup for just that image file in the future either, we'll see. I tried to do it through the utility itself but there isn't any option there for using a different location to save the images, only the size you'll let it take up, which in my case, the SSD is only 128GB in size, that's not much. If I could somehow configure this, I would probably let it be the max size on the other partition, who knows. Too bad it's not like configuring the Page File, you can easily decide the location for its' storage. I have scoured the internet trying to find something on this but to no avail, I wonder if I'm not using the correct search words maybe? I also want opinions on Gigabytes backup software utility as well. Has anyone ever used it before, was it successful? If I used that, I could close the Microsoft version altogether, thoughts please? If someone knows this one straight away, can you please tell me how it's done? Or if someone can give me a link to it on the net, that would be even better. Again, thanks a lot for taking the time here.

;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:30:24 pm by irishbug »
EX58-UD3R-SLI Rev.1.0, I7-920 2.6, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cpu cooler, 6 Gigs G-Skill 1600 DDR3 ram, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, 2-WD 640 GB each  Caviar Blacks in RAID 0 for storage, Antec 1000w PSU, Zotac 9800GTX+ GPU, Antec nine hundred two case.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Please help relocate Win 7 "System Restore" file location
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »
Try using this info to help you.
Previous Versions. Previous Versions is available as a tab in the Properties dialog box for any item. To access the Previous Versions tab, locate the file or folder that you want to restore, right-click the file or folder, and click Properties. The Properties dialog box will appear. Click the tab labeled Previous Versions.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Wolfclaw

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 03:02:04 am »
A system restore file (system volume information) must be on the drive/partition it is protecting. Each drive/partition will have it's own System Volume Information folder for recovery of that particular partition/drive. This is the way the O/S is designed. You can do little to change it - other than turn off system restore on the partitions/drives you do not feel need the protection.

irishbug

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 03:39:03 am »
A system restore file (system volume information) must be on the drive/partition it is protecting. Each drive/partition will have it's own System Volume Information folder for recovery of that particular partition/drive. This is the way the O/S is designed. You can do little to change it - other than turn off system restore on the partitions/drives you do not feel need the protection.

ummm ok. Maybe I'll go to a third party application that offers the same protection and see if I can store those images elsewhere. Thanks.
EX58-UD3R-SLI Rev.1.0, I7-920 2.6, Zalman CNPS10X Extreme cpu cooler, 6 Gigs G-Skill 1600 DDR3 ram, Crucial C300 128GB SSD, 2-WD 640 GB each  Caviar Blacks in RAID 0 for storage, Antec 1000w PSU, Zotac 9800GTX+ GPU, Antec nine hundred two case.