Official GIGABYTE Forum

Will Not Restart

Re: Will Not Restart
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 05:27:17 am »
Hi there,

A couple of questions I'm afraid:

What Revision Number is your Motherboard?
What BIOS version are you running?
Have you changed any of the BIOS settings?

OK, OK, I know that is more than a couple of questions but, if you could post back with the answers to them, it would really help.

Hello,

Revison # is: 1.3

BIOS Version is:  F5

BIOS Setting Changes:  None
"He who would like to have something he has never had, will have to do well, something that he hasn't yet done."

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 05:28:53 am »
Go into the BIOS and set a HDD delay of 5 seconds to give the drive time to initialise.

Hello Sir,

I did set the HDD Delay to 5 seconds, it made no difference.
"He who would like to have something he has never had, will have to do well, something that he hasn't yet done."

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:40:58 am »
Hi there,

my first suggestion would be to try updating BIOS to F7 as this might be all the system needs to address the problem. If you're not sure how to re-flash BIOS then check out the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg18090.html#new

You can download the latest BIOS for your Mobo from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3475&dl=1#bios
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 05:55:47 pm »
Hello Sir,

I did successfully update my BIOS from, F5 to F7. But it still will not Re-Start when I select Re-Start.

I am just at a loss here.

Thank You so much for trying to help me to fix this problem with it not wanting to, Re-Start.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »
I wonder if it's a BIOS setting that's wrong. I would try disabling all the power saving features there like C1E, etc.
Another thing is have you installed the Gigabyte software that comes with the motherboard?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 07:35:26 pm »
Sorry but just trying to get my head around this problem so wondered if you could give some more details

When you first installed Windows did you install the motherboard drivers?
If you did install the motherboard drivers did the PC re-start correctly at that time?
Were you able to restart the PC prior to downloading Windows updates?
I hate to ask but....  Is the Windows OS legit?
After you updated BIOS did you remember to load Optimized Defaults?

I know it is frustrating and all I seem to do is ask questions but I can see no apparent reason for your restart problem and the more info the better in helping me understand what's going on with your system.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 08:13:50 pm »
I don't know about the BIOS settings but, I did install most of the software, such as DMI Viewer, Face Wizard, @BIOS, ON/OFF Charge and Easy Energy Saver.

@BIOS is how I updated the BIOS from F5 to F7.

System Information:

MB Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.GA-880GM-UD2H
BIOS version: GA-880GM-UD2H F7
CPU Name: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor
Memory information: Total physical memory 4093 MB
OS information: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit version
CD version information: AMD 8-Series Utility DVD 1.2 B10.0416.1

Regards,
Really_Rotten

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
You ask away and I will try the best of my ability to answer said questions.

I did install the MB Drivers Yes.

Gosh, it's been since the last week in May that I built this machine. I do know one thing that it's done that it's not done before. When I clicked F10 in BIOS to Exit and Save, she did restart. Another thing, when the BIOS automatically updated, it did Re-Start then as well. But, when I select Re-Start at Start, then Shut down, she will not Re-start.

Now the Windows Updates I don't think, think is an issue. I was using that as an example of when it won't Re-Start. Truthfully as far back as I can remember it's failed to Re-Start.

Sir, I take no offense at you asking about the legitimacy of my OS. Yes it is legitimate and registered to me.

No I did not load, didn't think to load, Optimized Defaults.

I do understand about the questions Sir. Like I said, ask away.

Thank You for your time and patience.

Regards,
Really_Rotten

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
Firstly whilst it might be very polite there is no reason to call either of us Sir ;) We get called all sorts of things but Sir isn't normally one of them!
Right, I would suggest returning to the BIOS and loading the Optimised Default settings and then saving them. You will probably then have to change your boot sequence to boot from your hard(C) drive first. Try that and then post back.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:50:06 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 09:24:57 pm »
I don't know much about the polite part, all I know is my Country raising. It sure as thunder doesn't hurt to be nice are to say a kind word. You Gentlemen have bent over backwards trying to help me with this issue and I felt like I owed you Men a bit more respect than I have shown others. But, I will watch what I call you from now on, it may be some of the things you've been called before...lol But I do understand because:

Calling me Sir, is like putting an elevator in an outhouse, it just don't belong!

As soon as I left here earlier I went straight to BIOS, loaded Optimized Defaults and saved them. Now I will have to go back and check the Boot order. I do know it was set to boot from the HD before I loaded the O.D.

Oh and it did NOT Re-start coming out of the BIOS like it did earlier.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 09:35:09 pm »
Hi Really_Rotten,

I appreciate where you're coming from and you are quite correct, manners cost nothing. It's just that here in the UK, manners no longer seem to apply.  :o

I have to be honest and say that this re-start problem is a bit confusing. I have done some digging and have come across a few cases where this fault has occurred before and the cause was, in fact, the PSU. I'm not saying that it is the PSU's fault but........  Do you have access to another Power Supply, that you could try, just to make sure it isn't down to this?

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »
I think I can get access to one but, it will be Monday. My Brother has my old machine if nothing else I'll sneak in and Pinch the PS..lol

Yes we have our share of that here in the States as well. The thing that really gets me, people will wait till they are out of swatting distance to mouth off at you.

I just don't know what else there is I can do. I took the NVIDEA GeForce GT220 and tried it with the onboard video, same thing. Always open to suggestions though.

Got to Re-Boot installed new Video drivers.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 11:38:40 pm »
I think I can get access to one but, it will be Monday. My Brother has my old machine if nothing else I'll sneak in and Pinch the PS..lol

I agree with absic that it is best to test that theory out first. At least if you start at the beginning you know where you are and you would be surprised how many problems are caused by PSUs.

Yes we have our share of that here in the States as well. The thing that really gets me, people will wait till they are out of swatting distance to mouth off at you.

Yes damn annnoying isn't it! Or they will only do it when they are mob handed. No bottle on their own.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 11:54:06 pm »
I will try a different PSU and get bakc to you.

Thanks again Gents for your time and consideration.

Regards,
Really_Rotten
Mike

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 11:55:30 pm »
You are welcome Mike. We will be here when you can get the chance to post again. All the best.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB