Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte X58 USB3, Intel I7 950 & 6gb Corsair XMS3 wont boot with 6gb RAM

Hello Guys,

I have a bit of a problem and cant get to the bottom of it and im hoping you guys can help -

Now i installed everything as should be and when i come to boot i got a message "recovering lost dram size", and then it rebooted several times. finally i managed to boot into windows and update the bios to F2. Now this installed correctly and rebooted, but all of a sudden the speaker kept beeping short beeps constantly. now i removed the ram and tested one by one and all seem fine, but when i put the ram into Dimm socket DDR3_1 i get the beeping constantly and wont post, if i leave this dimm free and use DDR3_3 & DDR3_5 all works fine and i have 4gb of RAM.

Im completely at a loss now as to what to do, i even went back to F1 and tried again, and got the same messgae with that bios "recovering lost dram size".

Ive scoured the net and not found anything of any use, ive re seated the cpu and cooler to no avail.

At a bit of a loss now really!

Hello Guys,

I have a bit of a problem and cant get to the bottom of it and im hoping you guys can help -

Now i installed everything as should be and when i come to boot i got a message "recovering lost dram size", and then it rebooted several times. finally i managed to boot into windows and update the bios to F2. Now this installed correctly and rebooted, but all of a sudden the speaker kept beeping short beeps constantly. now i removed the ram and tested one by one and all seem fine, but when i put the ram into Dimm socket DDR3_1 i get the beeping constantly and wont post, if i leave this dimm free and use DDR3_3 & DDR3_5 all works fine and i have 4gb of RAM.

Im completely at a loss now as to what to do, i even went back to F1 and tried again, and got the same messgae with that bios "recovering lost dram size".

Ive scoured the net and not found anything of any use, ive re seated the cpu and cooler to no avail.

At a bit of a loss now really!

By looking at the manual for your board if your using 2 modules the modules should be installed in slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_3. Do you have the problem with the ram installed in these slots? Intel i series boards are kinda funny as you need to populate the slots starting with the slots farthest away from the CPU. All other boards I have ever seen populate starting close to the CPU. So If you want to run a single module you may need to put it in slot DDR3_5? Or maybe DDR3_3? AS I said the i series is weird. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

Other thoughts: Did you clear the bios after the bios flash? See manual. Did you inspect the processor socket for bent pins? If all the pins look ok look at the pads on the CPU it self. There should be noticeable marks on each pad made by the pins in the socket. If any pads are untouched you have a bad socket. Also inspect the contacts in the ram sockets. You can also inspect the ram modules themselves and look for contact marks on each contact point. It may not be possible since you moved the ram from socket to socket. You could try cleaning the ram module contacts with a clean pencil eraser and then finish by wiping the contacts with pure isopropyl alcohol. Once dry insert the memory into the questionable socket. Then remove for inspection.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:40:51 pm by Wonderwrench »
Main Box*i7 930@3.5 Ghz*CM V6 GT*GA X58A-UD3R v2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 gig*WD  Blue 500 gig*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Teac Floppy*Corsair AX750*Rosewill R6AR6-BK case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Wait a minute I just noticed in the subject it shows 6 gigs so three 2 gig modules but in your post it sounds like you are running two 2 gig modules.
If you are trying to run 3 modules they should be in slots DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_5 or is that what you were doing and it stopped working?
Main Box*i7 930@3.5 Ghz*CM V6 GT*GA X58A-UD3R v2 FB bios*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 gig*WD  Blue 500 gig*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*Teac Floppy*Corsair AX750*Rosewill R6AR6-BK case*Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1

I am indeed trying to run 6gb (3x2gb), an i am indeed putting in the correct slots, it will run 4gb in slots ddr3_3 and ddr_5 no probem, but when i put in ddr_1 to get 6gb either get the message "recovering lost dram size" if using bios F1 or constant short beeps if using bios F2 (which the manual says is a power isssue but everything is set how it should be and i have a very good PSU.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
As Wonderwrench has already suggested please check your CPU socket for bent pins as it sounds the most likely source of your problem. If you can't be sure posta couple of high definition pictures of the pins in close up here and we will check them for you.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Thanks guys for the help, but ive just RMA'd the mem, cpu and motherboard as they are brand new this week and not worked right out of the box.

Simon