Official GIGABYTE Forum

Upgrading X58A-UD3R BIOS FB16 &/or SATA3 firmware breaks Windows 7 Sleep/Resume

This is basically a pointer to another thread with a more descriptive title. I'm the second to post about Windows Sleep failing to resume after a BIOS upgrade, and downgrading the BIOS (or perhaps the SATA3 firmware) resolved the problem.

See http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2800.msg20988.html, my post is #11.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
As I said on your original post it would be useful if you would re-flash to FB and see if it still works. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

As I said on your original post it would be useful if you would re-flash to FB and see if it still works. ;)

The USB3 controller does not work with FB16 or FB on Windows 7.  To get that working, I had to install FC1 which I downloaded from some file site (search), not Gigabyte (why don't they post it?).  When I installed FC1, that again broke the Windows 7 Sleep/Resume operation.  The mobo won't wake up completely and I have to hard power it off as before.  So going from FB16 to FB or FC1 breaks sleep/resume with the same Marvel 9128 SATA3 controller firmware that works with FB16 for sleep/resume.  Updating to the Marvell firmware in the BIOS (FC1) does not fix the problem, hence it's likely the FB and FC1 BIOS's that breaks sleep/resume.

On top of this, I've found my Western Digital 1 TB SATA3 HD is only running at 3 Gb/s rather than 6 Gb/s.  I have a tech support ticket going on that one with Western Digital.

If you are reading this and considering this mobo based on the Tom's Hardware recommendation (as did I), you really ought to look at other choices.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
For future reference if you are looking for the most up to date BIOS updates often TweakTown the american forum like this usually hosts them.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/

On top of this, I've found my Western Digital 1 TB SATA3 HD is only running at 3 Gb/s rather than 6 Gb/s.  I have a tech support ticket going on that one with Western Digital.

We have had a lot of problems with the WD SATA3 drives, in fact even absic and I have both been caught out by each bying a pair of them to RAID.

Thanks for the information regarding the BIOS updates though.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)

What are you seeing that in?   Are you sure you have the drive connected to the Marvell controller ports?   Just checking to be sure, as it should be SATA 6Gb/s no matter what you have done as long as you have it in the right port (Upper White ones 6/7).

So if you have them in the correct ports, then maybe it's just whatever you are using to see the speed/mode reporting it incorrectly