Official GIGABYTE Forum

p31-s3l cpu temp bios reading

p31-s3l cpu temp bios reading
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:16:32 pm »
greetings to all!
i have just acquired a second-user board as above to use up a 930 presler that has been hanging
around for a while waiting for a home. it's on the bench at the moment and seems to be okay. however,
the bios is telling me that the cpu temp is around minus 50 degrees!!! i can see that this could be a problem
if the chip overheats and doesn't give the appropriate warning.
anybody had same prob? would a bios upgrade solve it perhaps? or have i bought a load of junk?
the board is returnable but a workround would be better, as i got it at the right price (maybe!)
thanks for any input.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: p31-s3l cpu temp bios reading
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 05:45:42 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

A few more details would have been a nice touch. We try to help but as yet are still unable to read minds ;D

I would think one of the first things to try would be a BIOS update. Make sure that you use the QFlash utility though not @BIOS. If you require any more help please post a complete list of your hardware. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 09:13:39 pm »
thans dark mantis for your advice; seems like the way to go.

more details? what can i tell you? rec'd board this morning, decided to bench test it before going
any further. board hooked up to a 500watt jeantec; a 4-pin akasa heatsink/fan with a couple of small
squibs of ocz freeze; graphics courtesy of nviia 7800gt, and a couple of 256meg sticks of nanja 4200
that i rec'd as part of the deal. heatsink slightly warm after about 20minutes running. fan control enabled, giving
a bios readout of 800 revs; fan control disabled readout; a very noisy 3750 revs!!
i'll have to re-learn the qflash and @bios methods as i usually do my updates online (lazy?)
off to see what bios version i have.....
many thanks again

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »
greetings all, just an update for general consumtion re: my problem.
i found that i had the latest bios version (apart from a Beta ver.) so, i talked
to the excellent tech. support at gigabyte.
i was duly advised to remove cmos battery; go out for a few pints; replace battery and
go into setup. apply optimum settings (or failsafe if that didn't work) and then
look at the temp reading again....it worked fine and the cpu temp is back to normal  ::)
this may be a standard procedure that i didn't know about, but i am happy that i
have learned a useful lesson. otherwise, a bit of useful knowledge for all...
regards