Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-880GMA-UD2H win7x64 no hot plug

ca6age

GA-880GMA-UD2H win7x64 no hot plug
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:45:59 am »
Hi there,

I have win7x64 on  GA-880GMA-UD2H (F5 bios) with HDD controler mode set to AHCI and SATA. I did not use the drivers supplied in the site because disks were recognised by the OS naturaly. Once I connect a disk to an esata or sata port I am not able to disconnect. My only option is to shut down if I want to disconect the drive. So I guess I have no hot plug finctionality!

I tried to install the drivers provided afterwards but I got a blue screen!

What do I have to do to enable this? ???

Thanks in advance

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-880GMA-UD2H win7x64 no hot plug
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:21 pm »
Hi there,

If you originally installed your Operating System with the SATA Controllers set to Native IDE, Windows automatically disables the AHCI option. Switching the SATA controller to AHCI mode  after installing the OS will cause a BSOD.

There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing. The detailed steps from Microsoft are as follows:

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
After this you’ll have to restart your computer, go to BIOS and enable AHCI. When you log in to Windows again, you’ll notice the installation of drivers for AHCI. Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.

If you follow the above procedure correctly you should be able to then run your PC in AHCI Mode
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

ca6age

Re: GA-880GMA-UD2H win7x64 no hot plug
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply,

maybe my English did not helped me here.

What I meant is that I installed the OS with AHCI already enabled however I don't have the ability to "hot-remove" any sata or esata disks in my system (even thought AHCI is enabled).

Do I need to install something extra or alter a setting in bios (v. F5)?

thanks again