Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - can't install W7 64bit Ultimate

barton

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - can't install W7 64bit Ultimate
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:52:51 am »
I have spent several hours here and can't find the same problem, so here goes...

This is a Rev 2.0 MB w/FA bios (I know FC is just available).

I boot the W7 Ultimate 64 bit DVD and get to where it says:

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now."

I have tried SATA DVD drives on the 8 or 9 ports and also on 0 to 3 ports as well as using an old PATA DVD drive.

I have done other w7 64 bit installs on various other brand MBs and this is by far the longest and still isn't over.

I get stopped at the same place every time. BIOS has been set to safe defaults after I had tried many other changes that I saw suggested.

The driver disk was not in the box (bought "NEW" from Microcenter) so I suspect it was a repackaged returned board. Can't believe I need it for CD/DVD drives.

I downloaded all available drivers from the Gigabyte site, and after extracting the mb_driver_chipset_intel.exe file there is a new directory with an All directory with many files and an x64 dir with just two files and I doubt I'm in the right place or doing the right thing.

If only Gigabyte posted an ISO file of the CD that is supposed to come with the MB...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R - can't install W7 64bit Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

As you mentioned I too would be suspicious if the package had any bits missing. Were there any other signs that it migh not have been a new board?

You shouldn't have to install any drivers for the drive when installing Windows 7 64 bit. Is your Windows copy an original?

I think the best cousrse of action is to start from the very beginning and clear the CMOS totally.
So remove the cable from the mains and then hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Next remove the motherboard battery for at least 10 minutes before replacing. Plug back into the mains and then boot into the BIOS. Load Optimised BIOS Defaults and make any other changes ie to boot order etc, save and exit.

Try installing Windows again now and see if it is now ok. If not please post back.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

barton

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:13 am »

>As you mentioned I too would be suspicious if the package had any bits missing. Were there any other signs that it migh not have been a new board?

There was at least one config already saved (F11 in BIOS setup) so someone was playing as I doubt the factory sends it that way.

>You shouldn't have to install any drivers for the drive when installing Windows 7 64 bit. Is your Windows copy an original?

Agree, and "original"? well,  "legal" but not shipped from Microsoft. I only have the less expensive Technet Plus service, so I have to download the ISOs from Microsoft, and burn them myself. This one was downloaded a week ago or so, but burned with Imgburn w/verify.

>I think the best cousrse of action is to start from the very beginning and clear the CMOS totally.

I first Q-flashed to FC, then did as you suggested. Somewhere in there with the new bios, it decided to update the microcode on the fast SATA controller. Then it failed again looking for CD/DVD driver when installing W7 Ultimate 64 bit. Tried a presumably identical DVD but one downloaded several months ago and successfully used for installs back then. No joy with that, either. I just downloaded Ubuntu v10.10 in 64 bit and booted it up in "Lite" mode and that worked with no problems.

Now what would make most sense to try? (BTW, thanks for your help).

Or, should I be pestering Gigabyte support? I assume it is slooow, but have never tried it. I have had varying luck with other MB venders, so wanted to start here first.

I can easily get any current or even OLD OS from the Technet site, but suspect this MB should only be used with recent OSes.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 10:16:52 am »
Or, should I be pestering Gigabyte support? I assume it is slooow, but have never tried it. I have had varying luck with other MB venders, so wanted to start here first.

By all means start a dialogue with GGTS as soon as possible but as you say they are usually not quick to respond.

GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/Default.aspx

My first thought was of a bad copy of the OS disk so I would suggest that you try and download the software again or even borrow a copy off a friend  just for installation because you can still use your specific number/code.

There was at least one config already saved (F11 in BIOS setup) so someone was playing as I doubt the factory sends it that way.

No there shouldn't have been any configurations saved already so it does look as if this was a board that had been returned. For what reason there is no way of knowing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:22:12 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

JakeF150

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:55 am »
As he tried a previous and successful installed downloaded software and had the same issue, it does sound more like a BIOS setting of some sort, not a bad download?  Ubuntu installed, so maybe not BIOS but more like drivers, which is what it seems to want?

With Ubuntu, you can not install WINE, and run those EXE driver files you downloaded from Gigabytes site.  They are simply auto-zip to a directory of your choice.  Then copy to USB device.

I am not sure where you are having problems with drivers, but when you go to select a drive, in the bottom left corner there is a Load Drivers button.  Browse to the USB device and select all the different drivers.

True, none of this should be required, and as it was obviously a returned motherboard, someone else may have gone down this same path.

Good luck.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:14 am »
True, none of this should be required, and as it was obviously a returned motherboard, someone else may have gone down this same path.

My thoughts exactly!

Regarding the drivers though, as they shouldn't need to be installed seperately and Ubuntu installed ok so it looks like it could be a bad disk.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

icgaln

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
If u have the ability, I would suggest copying ur win7 install disk over to a USB stick and then booting from that instead. Then disconnect your dvd drive inside the computer so its not connected to the mobo and make sure u are not using AHCI or RAID on any of the mobo controllers. If u have a card reader or other such devices attached or installed in the computer disconnect them too.

In my experience of windows doing this, it was because win7 did not recognise my DVD drive and so asks for drivers for it each time it loads up from it, I now install from a USB stick and disable the DVD drive till after I have installed and its fine. I have also seen this happen for other devices like card readers and once a printer. So I would suggest removing all peripherals and devices as much as possible and give it a try using a USB stick.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:06:24 pm »
Yes that's is a good suggestion and can work sometimes when you are having problems installing from a drive.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB