Official GIGABYTE Forum

Have any suggestions, advice, constructive criticisms, etc. on my new build?

Absic and Rick,

Rick I will do my best to not make this system unstable.  Thanks for the warning!

Absic,  I have run into some more challenges and not sure what to do...here's the challenge:

It began when I noticed the OCZ Agility 2 would not update from 1.22 to 1.24 firmware.

I went to OCZ's forum and they asked me several questions.  We discovered that my AMD drivers were never loaded.

So I reopened the freshly downloaded files from Gigabyte and tried to reload the drivers [chipset, AHCI SATA, etc.].  As I attempt to load the chipset drivers, the screen says that the drivers loaded.  But when I go into Device Manager, it is showing there are no AMD drivers.  When I attempt to install the AHCI driver, it gives me screen that says, "this package requires ATI Catalyst Install Manager, but it is not found on this system.'  The screen goes on to say to go to ATI.com and obtain and install the ATI Catalyst Install Manager.

I am really confused about all this.  I did extract and install the ATI Catalyst Install Manager as well as the chipset drivers and the screen told me both were installed.  It even gave me an install log that  kept.

Wow!  What is happening?  Can you please help me to understand what to do with this?

Thanks,

Soar

PS  Here is the install record:

Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
11/23/10 11:45:11
Hardware information

Name   
Manufacturer   ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID   0x5958
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x5958
Subsystem vendor ID   0x1002
Other hardware

Existing packages
AMD USB Filter Driver
North Bridge Filter Driver

Packages for install
North Bridge Filter Driver
Final Status:   Success
Version of Item:   1.3.1.49
Size:   1 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000
Subsystem vendor ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

ATI Integrated SATA Support

Device ID   0x4390
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x01018f
Revision ID   0x40
Subsystem ID   0xb002
Subsystem vendor ID   0x1458

ATI Integrated SMBus Support

Device ID   0x4385
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x0c0500
Revision ID   0x41
Subsystem ID   0x0000

ATI Integrated SATA Support

Device ID   0x439c
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x01018a
Revision ID   0x40
Subsystem ID   0x5002

ATI Integrated Azalia Support

Device ID   0x4383
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x040300
Revision ID   0x40
Subsystem ID   0xa102

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x43a0
Vendor ID   0x1002
Class Code   0x060400
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x1200
Vendor ID   0x1022
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x1201
Vendor ID   0x1022
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x1202
Vendor ID   0x1022
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x1203
Vendor ID   0x1022
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Device ID   0x1204
Vendor ID   0x1022
Class Code   0x060000
Revision ID   0x00
Subsystem ID   0x0000

Error messages

Absic, to make this adventure even more exciting, OCZ's moderator just sent me these instructions:

Woah.. I've just done a little research on this mobo.. and things are not what they would appear to be.

It actually has a 790x Northbridge but the SB850 Southbridge.. and even more unusual, the GSATA ports are direct linked to the SB.

I would put both the FW and SSDUpdater file on a USB drive and then switch off/unhook everything except the Agility2 disable the GSATA ports in BIOS.

Then boot back into your Windows install on Agility2.. but run the Update from the USB drive (right click ssdupdate.exe and select "run as administrator").

See how you get on.

Regard

Absic, what do you make of these instructions?  Do these guys know what they are doing [I do not want to mess my new build up].

Also, I thought I plugged the Agility 2 into  ESATA.  Am I suppose to be plugged into GSATA?

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 08:36:34 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 16GB
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10
Scythe Temp Monitor + Fan Controller

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

Firstly I would never be happy updating the firmware of a Hard drive through the OS that is installed on it. Usually you would have to create a bootable CD or USB Drive and do it during the start-up process of the PC, a bit like using QFlash or going into BIOS. I would guess that the same applies for SSD's but that is only a guess.

If you have to go through Windows to update the Firmware then the instructions that the OCZ guys gave are pretty much correct. Remove all other hard-drives just leaving the SSD attached to the system and then use your USB stick for the update.

I don't understand which driver you are trying to install. If you followed my instructions you should be using the Microsoft AHCI Driver rather than the AMD version and the Microsoft Driver is actually better than the AMD one.

Your SSD shouldn't be plugged into the e-SATA (External) or the GSATA (White) ports but into one of the SATA3 Ports (the blue ones) on the motherboard.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi Soar,

Firstly I would never be happy updating the firmware of a Hard drive through the OS that is installed on it. Usually you would have to create a bootable CD or USB Drive and do it during the start-up process of the PC, a bit like using QFlash or going into BIOS. I would guess that the same applies for SSD's but that is only a guess.

If you have to go through Windows to update the Firmware then the instructions that the OCZ guys gave are pretty much correct. Remove all other hard-drives just leaving the SSD attached to the system and then use your USB stick for the update.

I don't understand which driver you are trying to install. If you followed my instructions you should be using the Microsoft AHCI Driver rather than the AMD version and the Microsoft Driver is actually better than the AMD one.

Your SSD shouldn't be plugged into the e-SATA (External) or the GSATA (White) ports but into one of the SATA3 Ports (the blue ones) on the motherboard.

Absic,

Sorry for the confusion.  Yes, I did follow your instructions and yes, I am using the Microsoft version of the drivers and yes, I do have the SSD plugged into the blue ports [SATA 3].  I do not have all the terminology down, so that is my mistake too.  Sorry that I did not make it more clear.  My bad!  I'll do my best to use better communication and correct terminology in the future.

I am not sure why the SSD will not update, but I know it is not because of any fault on your part.  I'm sure I failed to do something correctly and with time and patience, I know this last issue will be resolved too.   A good friend gave me good advice a while back, and in that advice was a very special key to success.  Do you know what that advice was:  Here it is: "Never give up; Never surrender!"  So with this good advice ringing in my ears, I know the last few challenges on this system will be resolved!

The moderator at OCZ gave me new instructions and sure enough, he is saying the exact same thing as you in regards to using a flash drive rather than the OS.  Can you give me any advice before I attempt to do this procedure?  Here is what he said:

1. Catalyst Control Center = CCC - Remove/Uninstall them. Restart if asked.. then switch off PC and remove ALL drives, including your SSD.

2. Re-boot your computer (by pressing <del> key during POST) into CMOS/BIOS Setup and go to the Integrated Peripherals Menu and temporarily set the following:

OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
OnChip SATA Type [AHCI]

x OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type AHCI
x OnChip SATA RAID5 Support Disabled these 2 will auto set once the others are done [Disabled]

Onboard GSATA/IDE Controller [Enabled] after setting below "mode" to AHCI set this to [Disabled]
Onboard GSATA/IDE Mode [AHCI]

Onboard ESATA Controller [Enabled] after setting below "mode" to AHCI set this to [Disabled]
Onboard ESATA Mode [AHCI]

3. Now press F10 and save and exit and boot back into CMOS (by pressing <del> key during POST). Switch OFF via PC pwr button.

4. Re-attach only the Agy2 SSD and switch on and boot into windows.

5. Plug in a USB Flash drive and copy the 3 FW updater files onto it:
FW_1.24_Update.pkg
ssdupdate.dat
ssdupdate.exe

6. Now point the mouse to ssdupdate.exe on the USB Flash drive, right mouse click and select "Run as Administrator". Say yes to UAC dialogue box and this will bring you to the Firmware updating screenie where the Agy2 should now be listed. Browse to the .pkg file by left mouse clicking the "..." to the right of Firmware Package File box is.. make sure the .pkg file is shown in the window and select the Agy2 fm the Drive List.. then select "Download Firmware to Selected Drive"

See how you get on..

Regards,

So Absic, these are the recommendations that OCZ is recommending.

Have you any thoughts on this?

Please let me know what you think on this.

Thanks,

Soar
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 04:24:23 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

The steps sound fine to me and if you follow them you should have no problems in updating the firmware on your SSD.
Just so you understand why you need to remove all other SATA devices except for your SSD, the firmware will attempt to flash any device attached to the SATA Controller not just the SSD. Other hard drives and DVD/CD Writers can have their firmware damaged by this process so it is really a case of safety first.

Once you have updated the firmware then it should just be a question of re-attaching your other hard drives.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Hi Soar,

The steps sound fine to me and if you follow them you should have no problems in updating the firmware on your SSD.
Just so you understand why you need to remove all other SATA devices except for your SSD, the firmware will attempt to flash any device attached to the SATA Controller not just the SSD. Other hard drives and DVD/CD Writers can have their firmware damaged by this process so it is really a case of safety first.

Once you have updated the firmware then it should just be a question of re-attaching your other hard drives.

Absic,

Ok, I tried the instructions the OCZ tech gave and the results were totally disastrous!  

First, one of the BIOS settings he requested was impossible to perform [OnChip SATA RAID5 Support was not able to be disabled].

Second, after I did change all the possible BIOS settings the OCZ tech shared, my computer would not even post!  [I could not even get into the BIOS anymore].

Third, suddenly my computer would start turning on all by itself [and it happened as my wife and I were talking about what to do next]!

Fourth, my keyboard stopped working

Fifth, computer would not boot or load Windows after I reattached the SSD

Sixth, when I connected an old keyboard [PS3] then I was able to get into the BIOS.  I tried to return everything to it's prior settings, but one of the settings on the blue BIOS screen is completely missing now!

Seventh, it is Thanksgiving day, now I have a headache, a tummy ache, and all dark ale is gone!  What a bummer of a day!

Ok, everything is true with the exception of number 7, my head is fine, my tummy is fine, and I don't drink!

But I do feel angry at the OCZ tech!

I think you and DM should open a OCZ forum now too!

Anyway, I am not sure what to do now...

I thought about removing the MB battery, and clearing CMOS, but I am afraid I would screw up my system even more now.

Any suggestions?  

I was thinking about finding this OCZ tech, gluing his finger to the Gigabyte motherboard, then turning on the power and watch as his hair gets real straight and vertical.  But, since it is Thanksgiving Day, I suppose I should instead count all my blessings and be thankful that I even have a computer [I heard somewhere most of the world has never even seen a computer let alone touched a computer]...

It is me,

Sad Soar

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 09:01:10 am by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

Ouch, what a way to "celebrate" Thanksgiving Day.

Right what I would do is this:

Go back to the start and completely clear CMOS.
Once CMOS has been reset reload the BIOS settings that I gave you originally.
See if you can create a bootable USB Drive or CD for the SSD Firmware Update.
If possible, using another PC or bootable CD delete everything on the SSD so it is like new
Reattach the SSD to your AMD PC and then, using the bootable USB Drive or CD do the firmware update. (I think it is better to perform firmware updates on drives when they are empty but I took on faith, like you, what the OCZ Tech said regarding this)
Then re-install the Windows OS.

Hopefully this will sort it out for you.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
It would appear that not only the OCZ products have declined in quality recently. Their Technical Support seems to be following close behind. ::)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hi Soar,

Ouch, what a way to "celebrate" Thanksgiving Day.

Right what I would do is this:

Go back to the start and completely clear CMOS.
Once CMOS has been reset reload the BIOS settings that I gave you originally.
See if you can create a bootable USB Drive or CD for the SSD Firmware Update.
If possible, using another PC or bootable CD delete everything on the SSD so it is like new
Reattach the SSD to your AMD PC and then, using the bootable USB Drive or CD do the firmware update. (I think it is better to perform firmware updates on drives when they are empty but I took on faith, like you, what the OCZ Tech said regarding this)
Then re-install the Windows OS.

Hopefully this will sort it out for you.

Thanks for the encouragement.  Well, for now, due to other time commitments, I must leave the computer as is...

I did change back all settings to the original we had at first, and everything seems to work fine again.

It will require some hours to reformat and reload Windows and all the programs I just installed.  I can't make that time commitment at the moment.

I was wondering...is it all that important to have the SSD updated from 1.22 to 1.24?  What am I missing out on?  Are my present benchmarks at least near normal?

Those are the questions I have.

Have a nice day Absic!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

It would appear that not only the OCZ products have declined in quality recently. Their Technical Support seems to be following close behind. ::)

DM, well, I am happy to be able to use a SSD.  I just wish it had been a little more positive of a first experience with it.

The top moderator at their site has intervened and is offering to personally walk me through the process through PM's.  I thought I might try it if I do not have to reformat the SSD.

I told him I was so upset that I kicked our Thanksgiving Turkey so many times that now I had to go out and purchase a new Turkey.

Well, at least it is better to kick the Thanksgiving Turkey than the OCZ tech turkey, or my computer....

LOL, life is still good and I refuse to let this get me down.

Up, up, and away!

Soar
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
That's it Soar, dont get bogged down by numbers. Your speeds are a little lower than I would have expected but there again it is an AMD platform I suppose ::)

No I think they are better than a normal old drive and maybe a little of the dark rum will work on it. Certainly works on the Intel side.

New way of tenderising the meat though!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 05:34:27 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Soar,

I don't know enough about SSD's to actually say if the speeds are OK compared to others but I know they are better than I get from my WD SATA3 HDD.

That's it Soar, dont get bogged down by numbers. Your speeds are a little lower than I would have expected but there again it is an AMD platform I suppose ::)

No I think they are better than a normal old drive and maybe a little of the dark rum will work on it. Certainly works on the Intel side. New way of tenderising the meat though!!!  ;D

LOL, well, I suppose I will remain happy no matter what [and that dark rum might help me]!

Happy Thanksgiving you guys and have a wonderful evening there...

Soar

AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Hi Soar,

I don't know enough about SSD's to actually say if the speeds are OK compared to others but I know they are better than I get from my WD SATA3 HDD.

Absic,

Ok, well, for now I suppose I will be happy with what I have.

The specs for this Agility 2 say this:
Sequential Access - Read: up to 285MB/s
Sequential Access - Write: up to 275MB/s

There is a wee difference from 142 mb/s and 95 ms/s.

I suppose "up to" infers if all components are top of the line, the wind is blowing the right direction, and voltages are higher than normal too....

Oh well, such is life!

On the brighter side of things...we just experienced the greatest November snow storm ever recorded in the mountains here...my wife and I went up to the higher mountains yesterday to try out our new snowshoes.  The only challenge was it was several feet of fresh 'powder" snow.  It was the coldest I have ever been in my entire life!  And it was absolutely beautiful!  I am so glad my wife was with me...I fell off a hill and was stuck under the snow.  I could not get out.  I am so glad my wife loves me.  She came to my rescue.  If not, poor Soar would be an ice cube today.  We caught our maximum limit of high mountain trout, got lots of exercise, and were in awe of the beauty.  So life is good.  I only wish I could have brought both of you with us!  Do you have snow in England, and if yes, how deep and do you ever snowshow there?  We just received 9ft [nearly 3 meters] of snow in a 5 day period].  If I was not wearing the snowshoes, the pic would show me up to my ears in snow...

If I cannot fix the OCZ Agility 2, then I will take it with us to the snow next time...and leave it!

LOL!  Have a great day guys!

Soar
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:15:09 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Absic,

Ok, I finally found the problem.  It was my bad mistake all along!  As I mentioned before, when I updated the Gigabyte 890XA-UD3 BIOS from F5 to F6a using Qflash, I did not disable the "KEEP DMI DATA" option. I believe this was the crux of the problem. Once I reflashed and updated the MB BIOS with the "KEEP DMI DATA" option disabled, the OCZ updater worked just fine.

I did use the OCZ updater in Windows rather than with a flash drive [I forgot again], with all my HD's and DVD writer still plugged in.  I hope I did not cause unknown problems.  I cannot find anything wrong at the moment.  I will take my time next time and not be in such a careless hurry.

Hopefully everything will work fine now.

Have a wonderful day there!

Soar

PS I posted some pics of the before and after benchmarks [test one was done in IDE instead of AHCI so that probably had an effect too].
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 04:13:41 pm by soarwitheagles »
AMD 1055T
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
XFX 6870 DD
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
HAF 932

Intel i5-3570
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
GeForce 560Ti
OCZ ZX-850 Watt Gold
CM HAF X Blue

Both Systems:

Windows 7+10

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Sounds more like it Soar. That's a substantial improvement in speed. I would think you are happy with that.

The snow looks lovely and is so much nicer than when we get any in the UK as it is always sort of slushy as it isn't that cold here. When I used to live in Bulgaria then we used to have snow like you but yet it was less of an inconvience than it is here in England. 1" of snow and everything grinds to a halt ::)

Have a good day Soar.
DM
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K