Official GIGABYTE Forum

Issues with GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0)

Issues with GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0)
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:19:15 am »
In August I put together my own computer. I used the above board with:-

• AMD 1090T Black Edition
  • Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
  • 2 x (OCZ OCZ3G1333LV8GK Gold 8GB PC10666 DDR3 Dual Channel Memory 1333MHz, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 2x4096MB)
  • Sabrent 802.11n Wireless PCI Controller Card - 802.11n/g/b, 300Mbps
  • Plextor PX-880SA DVD/CD Super Multi Writer DVD+RW, SATA, Lightscribe
  • Kingwin LAZER 750W Power Supply - 750-Watt, 80 plus
  • HIS H545HS1G Radeon HD 5450 Silence Video Card - 1024MB DDR2
  • 2 x (Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB SATA 7200rpm 64MB HDD)

I partitioned my primary HDD in 2, a 500GB Windows partition (C:) and 1.5 TB data partition D:. The second HDD had only one 2TB partition (E:) on it. I installed Windows 7 (Pro) 64-bit on it with all the latest drivers/bios available on 08/14/2010.

This build has been working fine (with a few caveats) until about 1 month back. Everyday more than 10 times Windows would report that the system fan was not working and that I should shut down the computer immediately. I opened the computer to look at the CPU cooler fans and other fans, but never saw any problems.

Another problem I have had often is that even though the computer would recognize a wireless connection, it would not connect to it even after providing the right password and extremely high signal strength (I kept the wireless router right next to the computer). This problem started happening a few days after the build and continued until about middle of November.

I thought I'll look into these more during my Christmas break.

Around end of November, I shut-down the computer using Windows shutdown button. Then, 2 days ago I tried turning it On, but it always gives me an error message saying Windows installation is corrupted. I disconnected the HDD which had E: and tried using the startup repair feature of Windows 7 DVD, but to no avail.

The motherboard does not show any error messages while booting up and the HDD seems to be working fine. I took it out of the system, attached it to an external HDD enclosure and connected it to my laptop. The drive is recognized without issues and I can access all the data on both the partitions without issues.

I have tried re-installing Windows 7, but the problem is that Windows no longer recognizes C:!!! It says that Windows is installed on D: and that E: is 1.5TB partition.

I have even tried swapping the SATA ports on the Mother board and formatting the whole HDD, but C: is no longer recognized!

Can someone please help me understand what is going on and how can I resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for all your time and help.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:24:27 am by comp_wiz_bit »

Christoph

Re: Issues with GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0)
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

what type of fans you have in the case?

maybe their not compatible with different speed/volts, IF all the fans (or at least the more important one, the cpu fan) you can turn the fans monitoring in the bios... you could solve the problem

about the wireless issue, perhaps  is the wireless router the one with issues and not the pc, cuz I had several problems with my router not giving me connection, besides if you have the router next to the computer, then why don't you use the LAN?

about windows, could be a virus the one that caused the problem, I haven't seen yet a problem with the board and HDD's around the community as I have the same board too, but I seen people complaining about the Caviar HDD 2 TB, you might find an answer to this on the WD forum

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Issues with GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.0)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:33 am »
Hi

I would suggest running Memtest86+ on yopur memory to give it a thorough check.

Memtest86+        http://www.memtest.org/

Insert one stick of memory in slot 1 and run Memtest on it for at least 10 loops and if there are no errors then swap it over with the next one and continue untill you have checked all modules.

If you have any errors the module is faulty.

If you have any faulty modules you will have to return the whole kit as they are matched.

Post back when you have done that with the results.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB