Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890GPA-UD3H rev2.1 -- USB ports not working

GA-890GPA-UD3H rev2.1 -- USB ports not working
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:58:47 pm »
Ever since building the system 2 days ago, only the top 2 USB ports have worked (the ones next to the PS/2 port).  The other 2 pairs (including the USB 3.0 ports) do not appear to work at all, even during bootup, so I'm inclined to believe this is not an operating system issue (I've tried kb, mouse, memory sticks, etc). 

I updated all the mobo drivers from the included disk, and I also specifically downloaded and updated the USB 3.0 drivers, but that didn't do anything either.  The front USB ports on my system, connected to the USB4 header, seem to be working fine (tried unplugging and trying again, in case there was some weird conflict, but the built in ones still didn't work).

At one point, right after I had installed the drivers from the motherboard cd, I received a Windows message saying there is too much voltage in one of the USB ports, etc.  However: (1) the issue had been occurring before this anyway, and (2) nothing was plugged into the malfunctioning ports at the time, and a keyboard and mouse were the only things plugged into the 2 working ports.  Have not seen that message again.

Strangely, all the ports seem to be present in device manager without any issues.  I can delete them, and then upon restart, Windows 7 has them back in there and functioning properly, so it says.

Do I have a defective motherboard?  Is there any way to test the ports internally with some mobo diagnostics?

Specs (everything is brand new, just assembled):
GA-890GPA-UD3H  Rev 2.1
AMD Phenom II 1055T
8GB RAM (2x4gb) Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
Corsair TX650W Power Supply
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (fresh install)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H rev2.1 -- USB ports not working
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:37:19 pm »
Hi and welcome to the Gigabyte Forum.

Have you any connections to the onboard USB outlets?

Have you enabled Legacy USB Devices (or similar) in the BIOS?

If not the mouse/keyboard wouldn't work before getting the Windows drivers loaded anyway.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:19:29 pm »
The keyboard and mouse are plugged into the only two working USB ports (out of the six total).

Legacy USB devices is enabled in the BIOS... it was by default and i didnt change it.

I just received the power overflow Winodws error message again when my computer came back from standby.  I'm thinking I may have a defective motherboard.  Is there any way I can confirm this?? I really dont want to take apart this computer and ship it back.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:43:43 pm »
Hi there,

What BIOS version are you running? If you're not sure go into BIOS and press the F9 key or, if you have disabled the BOOT Logo it should show you on the first POST Screen.

The latest version for your motherboard is FF and if you are not running this then it might be worthwhile updating to it and you can download it form here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3516&dl=1#bios

I would suggest that you use the QFlash Utility for updating BIOS and if you're not sure how to do that check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.0.html
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 06:58:12 pm »
I am running FF already.  I flashed it using @BIOS.  Doesn't appear to be any difference.

Interestingly, I tried opening a support ticket at Gigabyte's website.  It seems like the link is broken.  I'm going to call them during standard US business hours.

Any other thoughts??  I REALLY don't want this to be defective - I'm trying to will this to be something correctable.  :)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:29 pm »
Interestingly, I tried opening a support ticket at Gigabyte's website.  It seems like the link is broken.  I'm going to call them during standard US business hours.

Yes, there does seem to be a problem with the Gigabyte's Main site at the moment and I hope you have more fun trying to contact Gigabyte than we have in the UK!  :'(

I have to admit that I have never come across the over voltage warning that you got from Windows and like you, it leads me to think that there is probably an issue with the motherboard.

As a matter of interest are your mouse and keyboard also new? If you have any others knocking around it might be worthwhile disconnecting the ones you are using and trying different ones. I have had some strange things happen with mice and keyboards but I am grasping at straws here, being totally honest.  :-\

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:15 pm »
They're old set of keyboard and mouse.  I actually tried plugging in my friend's external harddrive (the small WD ones that don't need any external power source) and the light for the drive turned on, so the port is apparently receiving power, but it doesn't recognize as being plugged in at all by windows.  I also tried plugging in an iPhone to charge, but that didn't register whatsoever (worked fine in the working ports though).

I now notice that when I unplug and plug the computer back in, it doesn't power up when i hit the power button.  I have to unplug, plug back in a second time, then hit the power button and it works.  VERY strange.  This new evidence leads me to believe the mobo is messed up (but in a weird way that's somehow still fully functional except for the issues I've described).  I doubt it'd my power supply, especially since of the USB issue on top of this.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:38 pm »
No just for your information I also have never come across this warning of USB Overvoltage. ???
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:54:51 am »
Sorry to say that from the issues you are having it would seem that there is a problem with the motherboard.

As a matter of interest, does it exhibit the same problems if you build the PC outside of the PC Case? There could be a problem with the motherboard shorting somewhere and this could lead to the issues you are having.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:15 pm »
You are my hero, absic!!

Took it out of the case, boots up, all ports work fine.  Back in the case... same exact issue.

So what I FINALLY figured out is that the Lian Li case I'm using (from my roommate) had extra case risers in there (and they're the big square metal ones), which were not behind screw holes in my motherboard.  I didn't realize this because... well, I didn't put them there to begin with.  And wouldn't ya know it... the extra riser was RIGHT BEHIND the area of the mobo with the USB ports.  Took it out, everything works fine.

SOOOO let that be a lesson to everyone... electrical shorts can always be the problem, even when the symptoms make no sense! Btw, I didn't get around to posting this, but I returned the motherboard, got a replacement, and the EXACT same behavior occurred, which didn't even make me consider that it could be a short at all.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:35:12 pm »
Pleased you got and sorted and yes, a lesson to us all.