Official GIGABYTE Forum

win xp32 and raid 0

win xp32 and raid 0
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:23:35 am »
Hi all.Is windows xp-pro 32 capable of doing raid 0?
I have the GA-880GA-UD3H board with 2 hitachi 32 mb buffer terabyte drives.
I have tried many combinations with enabling sata2 and ahci in the bios. Still no luck.
While pressing f6 during install i have actually tried to load both drivers for raid/ahci.
On all occasions winxp cannot find any drives during setup.
I have also tried to enable a raid 0 with a cap of only 120 gigs since i had heard that xp doesnt like big drives.

Any help?
Thanx

Re: win xp32 and raid 0
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:50:46 pm »
My board revision is ver 2.0

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »
Hi

sorry I don't know the answer but have you tried using the SATA3 ports rather than the SATA2 ports?

I don't have your motherboard but the GA-890FXA-UD5 board that I'm running uses the same Southbridge chip and if you are still having issues I can try re-configuring my system and try to install XP onto the SATA3 ports in RAID0 and see if there is a problem with XP or with the hardware.

Also which BIOS version are you using?
There have been a couple of updates to BIOS that address the RAID ROM on these boards and if you are not running the latest version which is F7 it might be worthwhile updating. I would recommend that you use the QFlash Utility to update your BIOS rather than the @BIOS software, as it is more reliable.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

sharris

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 01:04:04 am »
Just a comment, nothing useful yet but when it comes to Windows on my 890GPA-UD3H  I have installed Windows Vista 32, 7/32 and 7/64 with no problems  but for some reason xp-pro 32 will not install itself out the box.  I'm new modern hardware and the BIOS so I got a lot to learn.  It's just good to know that it can be installed.  They may be older versions  but XP, Arch-2009-08 and Fedora-12 are my favorites. There so much information here it's mind-blowing  ... Thanks

Bye

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:31:20 am »
thanks for the replys u guys.. I have updated the bios to f7. It didnt make much sense to me but since the board had boasted fast data transfer thru the sata ports I kept trying for the sata2 option. Finally I decided to just boot the bios and those sata ports working as ide. Finally it loaded xp pro32.
Under Device manager the comp list both drives but only gives me a option of Drive C:....
As you remember I had installed 2 terabyte drives.
Drive C: properties are listed as 1 terabyte. (lol)

I guess I will leave well enough alone.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:15:03 am »
Hi there,

I thought that XP 32 could handle 2TB HDD's but that you needed at least Service Pack 1 for this.

The reason that you can't see your 2nd HDD in Windows is probably because it hasn't been formatted properly. You need to go to Control Panel and find the Disk Management option to initialise the drive and format it before it will be recognised.

If you're not sure how to do this then check out this Microsoft guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Christoph

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 08:16:23 pm »
I been using raid 0 since XP

and yes, you need at least SP1 for XP to recognize 2 TB HDDs

maybe you're not loading the right driver for XP 32 bits

Tiger

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:30:01 am »
You need to enter the RAID Configuration Utility during POST and create the RAID array prior to installing the operating system.
1) GA-Z97X-Gaming 7, G3258,
2) GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1, FX-8350
3) GA-AM1M-S2P, Sempron 3850 Kabini